Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: comb building under the Mann lake top feeder. see pic  (Read 1667 times)

Offline adamant

• House Bee
comb building under the Mann lake top feeder. see pic
« on: July 24, 2012, 06:35:15 pm »
is this the result of a full brood boxes? (no room to expand)

i pulled the feeder and placed a un drawn framed honey super on the brood boxes.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 07:11:12 pm by adamant »

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: comb building under the Mann lake top feeder. see pic
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 06:45:31 pm »
I personally wouldn't put an empty super on.  I bought an established hive that I thought had a super on it.  When I took the lid off the fellow had put a pint feeder in the empty super.  The entire super was full of comb and honey with some brood.  I would put a super with frames, with or without foundation, so they would have that to work with.  Good luck with your bees.

Joe

Offline adamant

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 07:12:28 pm »
I personally wouldn't put an empty super on.  I bought an established hive that I thought had a super on it.  When I took the lid off the fellow had put a pint feeder in the empty super.  The entire super was full of comb and honey with some brood.  I would put a super with frames, with or without foundation, so they would have that to work with.  Good luck with your bees.

Joe

thanks joe, i corrected my post. it should have read "un drawn framed honey super on the brood boxes-"

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 07:37:02 pm »
no problem, I have caught stuff I have posted as I hit post and then change them, but I am having a senior momment. haha

Joe

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 09:18:24 pm »
Too much open space.   Feeder had too much gap over the top of the frames.   You did good by putting a super on top.  Don't feed them anymore.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 12:38:32 am »
Never leave open space in a hive or you’ll end up with a real mess.  I have some of those top feeders too and they do violate the bee space.  However if you only feed in the fall, the bees are not as apt to build comb at that time of the year and hence this isn’t that big of a problem.  It sure is a mess this time of year though.  +1 adding a super.

anything