Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Worked my bees today  (Read 2580 times)

Offline mtman1849

• Assistant Social Director
  • House Bee
Worked my bees today
« on: September 20, 2008, 02:22:15 pm »
Today I worked my bees installed new IPM screened bottom boards and top feeders I also have screen inner covers that I did not put on because of the top feeders didn't see any need for them until I take the top feeder off.  I also leaned not to put any of those spacers in that allow a entrance in the middle of the hive they violate bee space and guess what I had a mess of bur comb and cross comb.  The two smaller hive will have to be fed now until they want take anymore they are a little low on stores.   The only thing I have left to do today is mix feed with fumigilan-b but I will wait until they settle a little before I do that.  Here are some pictures my wife took while I was working, I really feel bad because one of the girls got in her hair and she got stung while I was trying to find her and get her out.

I hate have staples they are a pain I think I am going to start using straps.

Finally got to the bottom

putting the feeder on first hive

Working on second hive

working on third hive

all back together

shot down the flight line

I also learned that these stands that I built for three hive will work a lot better if I only put two hives on them that way I can use the space in between for putting hive parts of the hive I am working on.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Worked my bees today
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 03:38:29 pm »
you probably don't need staples or straps unless you are moving the hives.  bricks on top will do for wind.  straps are good for keeping critters from getting in the top.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 09:41:22 pm »
I've thought of using straps so I don't have to lift bricks, but I doubt they would be worthwhile.  They are too much trouble to get on and off.  I have stapled bottoms on from time to time when moving them, but pull them off the next time I need to get to the bottom.  I don't recommend having the bottom stapled to the box as you can't get to the bottom to clean it.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 09:45:34 pm »
Nice pics-where did you get that cool hive stand- :) :lol: 8-) RDY-B

Offline mtman1849

• Assistant Social Director
  • House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 10:38:19 pm »
I built it can send you the dimension if you want

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 10:20:52 am »
I built a stand for putting stuff on when I go into my hive. This spring I will do a split so I'll have two hive's :-D
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 12:11:10 pm »
you probably don't need staples or straps unless you are moving the hives.  bricks on top will do for wind.  straps are good for keeping critters from getting in the top.

I love the big staples on my bottom boards, makes life easy when moving hives. Looks like you got it going on mtmn, keep up the good work!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com