Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Finally gonna do it  (Read 2307 times)

Offline rottybee

• New Bee
Finally gonna do it
« on: February 01, 2010, 03:45:46 pm »
Hello
I'm new to the forum, and about to be new to honeybees.  I have wanted to get them for several years and for whatever reason put it off.  I have even gone ahead and pulled the plug so to speak but it was too late to get them.  Well, I have 2 packages coming this spring, have been assembling hives and painting and reading and talking with people and generally becoming more and more confused.  Hopefully this forum will help me along in my endeavor. 

Thanks y'all'
Barry.

PS.....I chose my screen name because I am a Rottweiler lover.  I have owned them for the past 30 years, currently have one male, going on 4 years old.  (Boy, I hate to see him get "old".)  Anyway, maybe he and the bees will get along.  I know he love's honey!! :-D

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Re: Finally gonna do it
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 09:29:45 pm »
Hi Barry

You will get all the help you need from this forum. I started beekeeping in 2006 and I have mostly relied on this forum to figure out everything I need.  You post a question, and so many beekeepers answer.

Just start asking. You may get several different answers, but I usually go with the majority, and what makes sense to me. Just keep asking until you understand. It will take some time to make sense of it all, but it will work out as long as you are committed to learning.

Good Luck
Annette

Offline DavesBees

• House Bee
    • Dave's Bees
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 11:30:38 pm »
Hey Barry,
I dug through the member lists in the forum to see if I could find beeks nearby.  It is always good to have a friend nearby with a similar intrest.  My best friend is a langster and I'm all natural and we still learn from each other.
Good luck and have fun.
Dave - PM me if you are interseted in natural beekeeping in Hancock County Maine.
http://www.davesbees.com

Offline slaphead

• House Bee
  • Obsessive, compulsive & happy
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 12:02:52 am »
Welcome to the forum and beekeeping Barry. 

There's a great crowd here, have fun  :)

SH
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself - FDR, 1933

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 08:01:46 am »
Hello and Welcome!

I'm sure you'll find this forum to be a good source for learning more about bees & beekeeping. Be sure to check out the tutorials on the main Beemaster page - that's where I started about a half-dozen years ago.

The 'search' function is another good tool. Many times I find that a topic or question I'm interested in has been discussed in previous threads and I can get an immediate answer. Handy if you're impatient!

I also recommend getting involved with a local club. Beekeeping clubs often offer beginning beekeeping classes and are great places to find mentors and get connected with local beeks. Plus, much of beekeeping is "location specific", so the local guys will be able to help you with what beekeeping practices work best in your area.
http://www.virginiabeekeepers.org/association_map.htm

Good Luck!

Offline CVBees

• House Bee
  • secondchanceapiary@gmail
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 01:45:03 pm »
Congrats on your decision to move forward.  I also have been on the fence about starting but took the plunge this winter.  I envy your location for pollen flow and weather but southern PA isnt terrible.  I have learned 60% of what I know from these forums but you really have to read and dig to find the stuff that applies to you.    Good luck in your endeavor and wish me the same. 
Bees are the key to life as we know it.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 11:13:54 pm »
Barry, welcome to our forum, great you found us, and have fun when you get your bees.  I love that breed of dog too.  Have that wonderful and awesome day, with health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service