Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Considering where in house to place obs hive  (Read 4104 times)

Offline twb

• House Bee
Considering where in house to place obs hive
« on: February 10, 2008, 10:36:21 am »
I have been wondering where to place the new 4 medium frame obs hive we are getting.  Our three season porch is an option but will it be too cold there? I want the best chance for the bees to overwinter.  We keep the doors closed to that room for winter and right now it is 44 degreesF(in the room) while it is an even zero outdoors.  Will that be tough for the bees in the obs hive?  Is the room with temps in the mid sixties to low seventees going to be better?
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."  Proverbs 16:24

Sincerely,
TWB

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Considering where in house to place obs hive
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 11:30:50 am »
Twb.  Ooooh, that is a good question.  I never thought about overwintering observation hives, but yes, I guess people do it.  Now I am looking forward to hearing the answers.  I am entertaining thoughts of an observation hive at my place this year too.  I have 13 kids around my place that would love to watch this wonderful jaunt into the secret life of the honeybee, along with about 6 adults that would love it too, hee, hee, along with all the other kids and folk, it could be a real showstopper, hee, hee.  Let's see what cool responses come out of your thread.  Have a wonderful day and love our life we're livin'.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 11:56:21 am »
Mine is in my living room where it's roughly about 70 F all the time.  PROBABLY they would do better in a colder climate like 36 F or so, in theory.  I'm sure about reality as in 70 F they will periodically rear a patch of brood through the winter which helps them have some young bees in the spring.  I doubt they could do this at 36 F.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline twb

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 06:54:17 pm »
So, maybe the room that gets down to 45F or so at the lowest could be a good choice?  Sounds like maybe yes and maybe no.  It got up to about 3 or 4F outdoors today and a smidge of sunshine with snow showers.  That room made it up to 50F and is now back down to upper 40's. 

Or, is it just plain lucky to overwinter a four medium frame obs hive nomatter where it is placed?
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."  Proverbs 16:24

Sincerely,
TWB

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 10:27:18 pm »
>Sounds like maybe yes and maybe no.

Maybe yes and maybe no.  I haven't tried it on an observation hive.  For a full sized hive it would be better.  For an observation hive I'm not sure since I haven't tried it.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 09:39:44 am »
In any room where the mother in law is staying.  :lol:

I would say in winter perhaps in the garage. That way they have the cooler temps but not the winds.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 09:58:27 am »
I have mine in a back room that is between 60 and 70.  So far it is doing fine, not going through too much stores.  The down side is that there are still a couple SHB roaming...I'll have to keep a close eye on them.  I think that in the 40's would be acceptable.  Not sure, but I don't think that they can cluster quite as well in a narrower hive so they may need a bit more insulation.

I think that either way would probably work for you.  I prefer to have them where I can watch them more comfortably. 

Rick
Rick

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 10:54:09 am »
Brendhan, your witt makes me wanna laugh, it makes me wanna shout, I like the sprite in you!!!!   Some of your comments just make me sit back and wish that I could meet you, it hits my giggle chord, hee, hee, have a most wonderful and best of this great day, love our earth, Cindi

PS, I hope surely that you don't have a Mother-in-Law, hee, hee, but that is unlikely now isn't it?  What does she think of you, hee hee?  If only she could have read your comment,  :-P :evil: :)
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 11:09:43 pm »
I have a MIL.

I will stick with the daughter and hope things skip a few generations.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 09:23:55 pm »
Wouldn't it be better to have them in a little colder area. That way they cluster and kinda close things down for the winter? If you keep them in say a room where it is 70 or so won't they think it is still fall and expect to be out foraging? I was thinking that Brendan's idea about the garage is probably good. I am just guessing here so let me know what you think. I am having a buddy of mine build me a few mediums out of the lexan material for my ob hive. I figure about 3 mediums would make a good ob size and I am just going to put it in the dinning room where we can walk all around it. My plan was just to switch them into a regular hive in the late fall and let them winter outside with the rest of the girls... That should be ok right???
Frantz
Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 10:20:04 pm »
If I were over wintering a 4 frame observation hive (deep or medium) I would use 2 nuc boxes.  Place the 4 frames from the observation hive in the bottom box along with an extra frame of brood and put a super on top full of honey/pol  len frames.  That set up would instantly give your small hive enough to see it through until spring.  The brood frame would boost the population enough to insure survival.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline twb

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2008, 11:09:00 pm »
If I were over wintering a 4 frame observation hive (deep or medium) I would use 2 nuc boxes.  Place the 4 frames from the observation hive in the bottom box along with an extra frame of brood and put a super on top full of honey/pol  len frames. 

That sounds like a very workable solution, but I was hoping to overwinter the bees in the obs. hive and be able to enjoy them all winter long if possible.

Sincerely,
TWB

anything