Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Temperment Change After Packages Start Hatching Brood?  (Read 1230 times)

Offline Nonprophet

• House Bee
Temperment Change After Packages Start Hatching Brood?
« on: May 14, 2013, 01:27:34 am »
Seeing as the package bees are usually a mix and not related to the queen, I'm just curious if people have observed temperment changes to their colonies 4-6 weeks after a package install when the queen's progeny start hatching out. My girls are extremely gentle and docile now, and I really hope they stay that way--though I know they can have bad days too......

NP
"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little."
—Franklin D. Roosevelt

Offline Bees In Miami

• House Bee
Re: Temperment Change After Packages Start Hatching Brood?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 02:19:14 am »
NP...All new packages are "gentile"....The more the bees have to defend, the more (seemingly) aggressive they will get.  I am not saying they will be aggressive...I am just saying, going into a hive of 12,000 is a LOT different than going into a hive of 60,000, or more!!!  Don't nix your queen....just listen to the bees.  (and don't think you need to be a "hero"....outfit yourself accordingly!) 

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Temperment Change After Packages Start Hatching Brood?
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 09:05:19 am »
Certainly the genetics of a package change over time as the new bees from the queen emerge, but most changes are do to having more bees to defend the hive...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything