Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: White wax  (Read 2832 times)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
White wax
« on: June 09, 2008, 11:18:23 am »
Well when melting wax in my solar wax melter, all the wax comes out a nice yellow color. But yesterday, I checked the wax melter and found an unbelievable white color. Pure white beeswax. Will post a photo soon. So my question is what made this wax come out white and the rest come out yellow??  OK here is the photo

« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 01:32:07 pm by annette »

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
Re: White wax
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 02:16:55 pm »
My whitest wax comes from vetch in the spring.  The vetch honey is also water white.  I would say it is completely dependent on what went into the melter.
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 02:21:27 pm »
Beatiful pictures annette. I thought water was clear?

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 03:20:46 pm »
Nice pics, that is white wax!  Is there ever a difference of how long you leave it out there?  Sunlight will bleach the wax too.  Either that or the bees have found a source of paraffin!  I think that the newer the wax put in the less staining from the bees there will be.

I thought water was clear
  You've never heard of white water rafting??

It is more of a color relative to the honey...since honey is clear too, just yellow clear.

Rick

Rick

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 03:22:52 pm »
whiter wax is more desireable than darker wax. Save it and keep it seperate and see if you can gather a bunch of it.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 04:20:31 pm »
I thought water was clear?

It is, but clear is not a color.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 05:56:27 pm »
This was really, really dirty wax to start with and from the same batch as the other wax. I could not fit it all into the wax melter at once so did separate batches. I had to strain all this wax twice to have it come out clean. I mean I strained both batches of wax twice. The only thing that was different, was when I went on vacation, I left this batch in the solar wax melter all week. It strained slowly because we did not have really hot weather when I left for this vacation. When I got the yellow colored wax, it filtered down through the paper towels in one afternoon. This wax melted slowly as it started to melt a few days before I left. Perhaps in melting so slowly, this happened??

Anyway, I will keep it separate and see what else I get.

Thanks for sharing thoughts
Annette

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 06:10:10 pm »
This was really, really dirty wax to start with and from the same batch as the other wax. I could not fit it all into the wax melter at once so did separate batches. I had to strain all this wax twice to have it come out clean. I mean I strained both batches of wax twice. The only thing that was different, was when I went on vacation, I left this batch in the solar wax melter all week. It strained slowly because we did not have really hot weather when I left for this vacation. When I got the yellow colored wax, it filtered down through the paper towels in one afternoon. This wax melted slowly as it started to melt a few days before I left. Perhaps in melting so slowly, this happened??

Anyway, I will keep it separate and see what else I get.

Thanks for sharing thoughts
Annette

Slower melting let the pollen settle out.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 08:37:33 pm »
I thought water was clear?

It is, but clear is not a color.

Thanks for clearing that up :)

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 10:08:41 am »
The only thing that was different, was when I went on vacation, I left this batch in the solar wax melter all week.

The sun will bleach the wax white.  Since time was the main difference, I'd say that this is why it is white.
Rick

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 03:15:33 pm »
The wax was hidden from the sun under the paper towel. Only the dirty residue remained on top of the paper towel.