Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Computer out.  (Read 4979 times)

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Computer out.
« on: June 24, 2009, 09:26:24 am »
COmputer turned off unexpectedly the other day and I think the power supply is out. Im trying to find someone that has an extra to make sure that is the problem. I can only check forums from work now  :'(

Offline Pwrbait

• New Bee
Re: Computer out.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 08:04:25 pm »
If you have access to a multimeter you can verify it pretty quickly.  Unplug the connector to the hard drive or CD/DVD and engage the power button.  If you get a reading, then power supply good.  If not, before you replace the supply, open it up and check the fuse inside.  There is a small automotive type fuse in there to protect the supply.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 09:32:01 pm »
If it happened after a power outage,  it may need just a long reset.  It happens to my computers ever so often.   Pull the power cord out and let is sit for a while.  Might not be it, but worth a try.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 02:33:40 am »
Well I had to remove the cpu fan to get the power supply out. When Putting the fan back on the fan fell off and could not get it back on. I went back to the original fan and broke off one of the nubs that the fan mounts to so now the fan will not stay on the cpu  :-\. Im having a friend order a new supply, mount and fan. It just stinks that I cant look up the forums every day  :'(

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 03:15:48 pm »
Well replaced the power supply and NOTHING! I tried everything possible and stil nothing. I had to order a new mother board and processor due to no one sells my socket of motehrboard again. Hopefully Ill be back up and running again.

Offline Vibe

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 03:31:55 pm »
Believe it or not a memory stick going bad will cause the same thing. Frustrating to find that our after EVERYTHING else gets changed, I know.
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius -

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 07:36:19 pm »
Well, Shawn....Its sure reassuring that I'm not the only person in the world with this kinda luck :-D..At least you havent learned(yet) that youve lost everything in the computer!

your friend,
john

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 11:08:49 pm »
IM BACK! Replaced the mother board, processor, and memory.  :'(

Offline lakeman

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 07:41:26 am »
IM BACK! Replaced the mother board, processor, and memory.  :'(

You did not say, did that get you up and running?
I am my own biggest critic!

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 07:55:46 pm »
yea its back up and running, after almost replacing everything. Forgot to say the mouse also had to be replaced. Not sure what happened but what ever it was really did a number on things.

Offline lakeman

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2009, 07:29:49 am »
yea its back up and running, after almost replacing everything. Forgot to say the mouse also had to be replaced. Not sure what happened but what ever it was really did a number on things.

Possibly a lightning strike, or power surge. I try to unplug my puter when lightning storms are in the local area.
I am my own biggest critic!

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2009, 08:41:02 am »
look at the bright side, you have a new updated computer. probly faster! and can do more things.
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 06:58:56 pm »
Well if I new I would have had to replace most items I would have bought a different mother board. It seems a tad faster and cant complain.

anything