Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive body and super preservative treatment?  (Read 12759 times)

Offline BenC

• House Bee
Re: Hive body and super preservative treatment?
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2008, 10:25:41 pm »
I've made several boxes and lids of plywood and they seem to hold up fine.  Stick with real exterior ply, no osb, mdf, or advantec.  Copper Napth Is found near the deck preservatives and sealers, in a can labeled term-in-8.  Around here it can be found at home depot, lowes, and Ace.  Smells like liquid death and takes a long time to dry but it will protect wood in contact with the ground.  The product I mentioned is 25%Cu-napth and I've used it cut with terpentine and small bit of boiled linseed oil to 2.5%active ingredient, brushed only on the outside of the boxes and dried for 1 week before priming.  Do it (application and drying) outdoors.  I cut it to 2.5% because I've read that it's still effective and that conc. was recommended for beehives or above ground applications under paint.  Sorry I don't remember where I read that.  I've seen the program on RFD, that guy sloshed the green stuff all over (and in) the box.  Based on the fact that all edges inside my hives seem well chewed/smooted by the bees, I've limited my trials with the copper applications to the exterior of the boxes.  Does it really make a difference in box servicability over time?  I don't know yet. 

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2008, 10:56:06 pm »
 You were right shawn!
 There was another episode last nite at 01:30 in the morning. I thought about getting up for it as I get up around that time alot anymore to go to the loo and then get a drink(of water).
 I guess Ill just wait for it to come back some other time....you know how it is,..They show thier programs over and over, and eventually it will be on at a reasonable time again!
your friend,
john

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2008, 10:48:11 am »
Sorry for bringing back a post from the dead, but I wanted to add on to this.

So I got that Copper Green stuff from Home Depot and went ahead and saturated everything except the inner cover and frames, just like Keith Delaplane recommended on that video series he did.  Soaked everything inside and out.  It actually looks pretty cool and I almost don't want to paint it now that it's all a werid green color.

The container says that after 48 hours you can paint over it (like Dr. Delaplane did in his video) but mine still feels pretty greasy a week after treating the wood and I'm afraid the paint wont stick.

Maybe after it warms up a little.  It's been really damp and in the 40's - 50's still, probably taking it a little longer to dry and absorb.

After comparing this stuff to the stuff Mannlake and other suppliers sell, it's almost exactly the same thing!  5 gallons of Perm-E8 from mannlake is $189.  A 1/4 gallon jug of Copper Green from home depot was only $8 and treated 5 hive bodies, 3 bottom boards, and 3 telescoping covers.  The ingredients were almost exactly the same too!  Much cheaper and they had it in stock at my store down the road.  They also have Copper Green in a spray can which I might try next time (if this stuff ever dries!).

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2008, 10:52:24 am »
That stuff will take a couple of days at 75 + to dry. I use it all the time and it will stay permanently wet/greasy at 40-50 degrees. So yea, just give it a little heat and it will dry up.
I have been thinking about using it as well, post some pics of the hives all green. I have thought the same thing. Why not just leave them green??
Frantz
Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2008, 07:02:20 pm »
Hopefully the weather warms up some and I'll put them outside to get some sun.  I have no other way to warm the stuff up.  Since they're treated now, probably wouldnt hurt them to put it all in my bee yard as-is without paint.  I'll take a pic then. 

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2008, 07:11:58 pm »
Thanks you guys!

Perm E 8.....
I'll look for it!
your friend,
john

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2008, 04:06:24 am »
John,

Not Perm E-8, that stuff is expensive.  Look for Copper Green at Home Depot.  It's cheap and the exact same thing.

Sean Kelly

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2008, 01:29:50 pm »
Thanx Sean!!

your friend,
john