Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: checking frames questions  (Read 1253 times)

Offline chickenwing654

• House Bee
checking frames questions
« on: July 12, 2015, 05:55:34 pm »
Hi,

When checking out the frames, is it normal to shake off the bees, or brush them off, or do you leave the bees on the frames?

I have been checking out my frames with the bees on the frames, but would get a better look if the bees were not covering most of the frames.

Wondering how you usually inspect your frames?

Thanks
David

Offline YpsiBee2015

• New Bee
Re: checking frames questions
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 07:23:08 pm »
Ill brush them off if needed. I try to leave them in place whenever possible. Ill look around them with my hive tool and or a flashlight to see eggs and brood/larva. it generally makes for happier inspections.

I'm new this year, so I could be wrong, but I've been able to see things this way and....not get stung :)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 09:20:46 pm »
I leave them on. If I want to look where they are covering, I blow on them gently and they move over.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 12:09:07 am »
I also leave them on the frame. If I see something I want to look at, I will use my finger to move the bees away what I want to see.
The only time I shake the bees off the frame is to remove the frame to extract honey or take the frame out of the hive.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline chickenwing654

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 06:38:04 am »
Hi,

Thanks for the replies.  I have been leaving them on the frames.  I have been blowing on the clusters of bees when I have been looking for the queen. 

I just thought I would be more efficient if I in checking all of the frames with no bees.
I will continue with leaving the bees on the frames.

Thanks again.
David

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 08:25:59 am »
Just don't blow them around without a veil on.  Once in a while you'll get surprised by a few that come straight off the comb and hit you in the face... when that happens it is good to have a veil...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything