Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New screen bottom board design  (Read 23390 times)

Offline gaucho10

• House Bee
    • Bees, Bats and Beyond
Re: New screen bottom board design
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2011, 08:09:35 am »
Thanks JP...

BLITZ,

I know that you can't post pics but I was not able to follow the link you gave me.   But I will explain...

The vent holes on my VIC (Ventilated Inner Cover) are located alongside the back and sides.  There are no vent holes in the front where the upper entrance is located.  The reason for that is because during the winter/cold months I found that the bees go out on their cleansing flights and when they return they tend to land on the front "screened" holes and die.  They don't try to find the actual top-front entrance hole.  The hole is NOT located inside the brood chamber as is the case with a regular inner cover.  The hole is actually on the inside-bottom-front of the VIC.  You can get the same results by actually inverting a regular inner cover and placing a regular empty supper on top then covering it with a telescopic cover.  I don't want to drill holes on the side of my regular suppers so I built a "one unit VIC".

Yes, the interior walls of the VIC have foam insulation sheets cut to fit tightly around the VIC.  The only hole available is in the front panel and is the size of the top-entrance hole (~3/4" X 2").  Resting on top of the wall insulation is a horizontal insulation sheet with a center hole cut into it.  This hole allows me to insert an inverted  1/2 gal. bottle of honey to feed during the winter if required.

If you are asking me if there is a "bottom inlet hole" underneath the VIC the answer is NO.  But I do have a BOTTOM ENTRANCE in my SBB (screened bottom board).

BTW...if you are interested in seeing my VIC design do a search on this webpage or go to my webpage at www.beestbatsandbeyond.com where I have instructions on DIY equipment.

I believe that by having a SBB (with the bottom tray closed during cold weather) and a VIC working together prevents moisture from remaining in the hive.  I have had totally dry hives since I started using this design in 2008.  The VIC acts as a insulation box on top of the bees.  Think of it as a three decker home, if you have them in your area  :-D   The tenants on the first and third floor usually have a higher oil bill during the heating season.  The second floor usually spends less because it is insulated by the ceiling and floors of the other apartments.  Same principal here only heat rises and vents out the small 3/4" X 2" top entrance hole.  On windy days the bees do not get directly hit with the wind that usually enters through the top hole.

One other point I should mention...Some people build a VIC and fill it with moisture absorbing material such as hay.  I found that there is no reason for that since the moisture is eliminated through the small top entrance hole.

Hope that helps.

gaucho10
My favorite comedy program used to be Glenn Beck--The only thing is that after I heard the same joke over and over again it became BOOOORING.....

People who have inspired me throughout my life---Pee-wee Herman, Adolph Hitler, George W. Bush, Glenn Beck.
Notice I did not say they were people who I admire !!!

Offline BLITZZ

• New Bee
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2011, 11:48:57 am »
Gaucho/

Sorry for being pesky,I do not want to loose my girls again.

The links are from your site, the  " * " should be substituted by a dot  " . " to be useful, just working around the restrictions.

Is this pic below just an insulated jar feeder with a rear window and winter entrance?

www*beesbatsandbeyond*com/images/vic_12_resized_1-17-10_odfm.png

www*beesbatsandbeyond*com/images/vic_11_resized__1-17-10_9lf4.png

Where are the side holes in the first pic?

Are they plugged in the winter with the insulation?

The cleats seem to leave a gap between the insulation and the wood or there are fillers to go in place?

/
I had the same problem with the bees not finding the right hole to enter back in the hive, that is why I used the aluminum louvers on top of them and the scouring pads to keep other insects from nesting in the holes.

Offline gaucho10

• House Bee
    • Bees, Bats and Beyond
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2011, 02:50:45 pm »
BLITZZ,

The first pic and the second pic are the same.  One is a front view and the other is a rear view.
Here are a couple others of the VIC construction.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The original website pictures of my VIC also show the following:

1.    (my terminology) a "front porch" or alighting board, or an overhang enclosing the top entrance.  All this does is block some of the wind blowing into the hive.  It is not necessary but I thought it would help...and I think it does.

2.    What I think you call a "cleat" or border going around the top of the VIC is just an insert that goes over the top of the box.  It is about 3" tall and the lip just holds it in place over the VIC.  All that does is extend the VIC so that I can fit/invert a 1/2 gal. bottle of honey as a feed.  It is interchangeable so that I can use ALL medium boxes.  I am in the process of getting rid of all my deep supers.

3.    Inside of the VIC you can see a heavy guage wire "contraption".  All that is is a bottle holder.  Late in the winter season when the bees reach the top box and congregate on top of the frames they pretty much fill the center feed hole.  In order for me to prevent squashing any bees I built that "contraption" to keep the feed bottle just above the hole.

4.    On one of the pictures you see the top insulation installed and you can see that there is a 2-3" space above the insulation.  That space is what allows me to grab the feed bottle so that I can take it out and refill.

5.   Although you can not see any side vent holes, they ARE there...on the side.  Some of my VIC's have side holes on the side and back.  n this particular VIC I did not drill any holes in the back but I did cut out an observation window.  That window just lets me see when the bees get to the top without me having to remove the top cover.  It is nothing special...I just like to play around with things (projects).   :evil:    :-D    :?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 03:06:41 pm by gaucho10 »
My favorite comedy program used to be Glenn Beck--The only thing is that after I heard the same joke over and over again it became BOOOORING.....

People who have inspired me throughout my life---Pee-wee Herman, Adolph Hitler, George W. Bush, Glenn Beck.
Notice I did not say they were people who I admire !!!