Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New from SE Alaska  (Read 2152 times)

Offline whojigger

• Brood
New from SE Alaska
« on: October 29, 2006, 11:19:48 pm »
Greetings from Alaska,  I'm the #1 whojigger in SE Alaska, close to Ketchikan.  I'm thinking seriously about getting into bee keeping more for the pollination than the honey.  There doesn't seem to be anyone near the island I live on (Rivilla) that knows or is connected to bee keeping.  I helped a friend with bees back when I was a teen (I'm 53 now) in Idaho so I have some idea what I'm getting into.  There is a gent who comes up here in the summer to fish who has kept bees before, that I met at church so I might have help in the summer.  My main concern is how wet it is here.  we get about 15 feet of rain (really) and only about 60 days of good sunshine in a year.  If anyone has experience in places like Prince Rupert, Ketchikan, POW/Craig, Petersberg, Wrangell and on up the coast to Juneau (we all are similar in climate) I'd love to hear how you deal with this environment.  Also, if you can get queens shipped here.  I'll trade secrets about salmon fishing for bee secrets!!!  Peace,  The Whojigger

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
New from SE Alaska
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 07:41:26 am »
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Norlandbeekeepers/

Also try contacting Dick Allen and Keith Malone.  Both are on www.beesource.com and both are in Alaska.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
  • Little honey bee in flight
    • Photo Album
Re: New from SE Alaska
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 04:37:40 pm »
Oh man I loved alaska!

wonderfull place I used to live in alaska my mom was stationed in Eielson in central Alaska.

Fireweed honey is amazing

Cheers
"I have never wished to cater to the crowd, for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know." - Epicurus.

anything