Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: SHB Trap  (Read 4088 times)

Offline Gerald in Ga

• House Bee
SHB Trap
« on: August 12, 2007, 10:26:19 am »
Howdy,
  I have searched for but not found any mention of what size holes are in the plastic sandwich container trap for the small hive beetle. I will be using a drill and would like to know what size bit to use. I do not want any bees getting in.
   Thank you

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Re: SHB Trap
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 10:32:51 am »
Howdy,
   plastic sandwich container trap for the small hive beetle. 

what kinda trap you talking about?? never heard of a plastic sandwich trap before!!
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 10:54:14 am »
try tillies blog and here is a thread that might be helpfull.http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php?topic=9122.0

Offline Gerald in Ga

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 11:41:46 am »
 Howdy TwT and pdmattox,
    I'm talking about the one from Mrs. Tillie's blog site. She got it from a guy named Mel. Although she shows how to make it, I didn't hear any mention of the hole size.
    That is what I am needing to know.
    Thanks again.

Offline Gerald in Ga

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 12:12:35 am »
reinbeau,
   Thank you very much for that link. That was exactly what I was looking for.

Offline mgmoore7

• House Bee
    • Moore Honey Bees
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 02:31:33 pm »
I made one as well.  Check my post that I will update immediatley after this at
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php?topic=10811.0

I found that a traditional soldering iron pushed quickly in and out all the way through, made the perfect sided holes. 

Otherwise 4.5mm.

Offline hooyaman

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2007, 10:43:32 am »
Be careful using these traps.  I tried the traps using 3/16 holes and killed bees that crawled through the holes.  I took the traps out and started using checkmite to get rid of the shb.  If you use the trap, dont drill the holes larger than 1/8, because bees will get through and die.  Just a little info before you try the trap.  seezya

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2007, 01:21:32 pm »
A bee can get through 3/16"  A bee can get through 1/6".  A bee cannot get through 1/8".
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline beeginner

• House Bee
  • The swarm I hived
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2007, 10:26:00 pm »
A bee can get through 3/16"  A bee can get through 1/6".  A bee cannot get through 1/8".

The bees will plug the hole and to unplug it I use a hive stapel or w/e  So Just heat up a staple and use that to make the holes   The staple is a tight fit and the shb can get in but not the bees.            My friend is the one that came up with this trap.     plastic sandwich container with a lid glued in the center with the bait and oil on the out side of that

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2007, 11:40:32 pm »
I used the tip of the soldering iron and just barely made a hole.  I've only killed two bees in the traps and that was when I panicked that my holes were too small and enlarged them on one side of one trap.  The holes I have are about 1/8" or a little smaller.  The SHB is a little guy and gets in quite nicely.  The trap works well and the sandwich container has the added advantage of having an easily removable top for dumping out the dead.  There's a video on my site of making the trap and you can see the size of the holes in the video.

Linda T in Atlanta