Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: THANGS I LARNED WILE LIVIN IN LUSIANA  (Read 7994 times)

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
THANGS I LARNED WILE LIVIN IN LUSIANA
« on: January 20, 2009, 10:05:18 pm »

1. Possums sleep in the middle of the road with their feet in the air

2. There are 5,000 types of snakes and 4,998 live in LOUISIANA .

3. There are 10,000 types of spiders. All 10,000 live in LOUISIANA plus a couple no one's seen before.

4. If it grows, it sticks; if it crawls, it bites.

5. Onced and twiced are words.

6. It is not a shopping cart; it is a buggy.

7. Fire ants consider your flesh as a picnic

8. People actually grow and eat okra.

9. Fix & into is one word: FIXINTO

10. There is no such thing as 'lunch'. There is only dinner and then there is supper.

11. Ice tea is appropriate for all meals and you start drinking it when you're two. We do like a little tea with our sugar!

12.. Backards and forwards means 'I know everything about you.'

13. Jeet? is actually a phrase meaning 'Did you eat?'

14. You don't have to wear a watch because it doesn't matter what time it is. You work until you're done or it's too dark to see.

15. You don't PUSH buttons, you MASH them.

YOU KNOW YOUR FROM LOUISIANA IF:

1. You measure distance in minutes.

2. You've ever had to switch from 'heat' to 'A/C' in the same day.

3. You use 'fix' as a verb. Example: 'I'm fixing to go to the store '

4. All the festivals across the state are named after a fruit, vegetable, grain, insect or animal.

5. You install security lights on your house and garage and leave both unlocked.

6. You know what a 'DAWG' is.

7. You carry jumper cables in your car...for your OWN car..

8. You only own five spices: Tony's (Chachere?), salt, pepper, Tabasco and ketchup.

9. The local papers cover national and international news on one page but require 6 pages for local gossip and sports.

10. You think that the first day of deer season is a national holiday.

11. You find 100 degrees Fahrenheit 'a little warm'.

12. You know all four seasons: Deer Season, Duck Season, Crawfish Season, Summer.

13. You know whether another LOUISIANIAN is from, north or south, as soon as they start talking (speaking).

14. Going to Wal-mart is a favorite past time known as 'goin Wal-martin' or 'off to Wally World'?

15. You describe the first cool snap (below 70 degrees) as good gumbo weather.  YEP!

16. A carbonated soft drink isn't a soda, cola or pop...it's a Coke, regardless of brand or flavor.
Example: 'What kinda coke you want?'

17. Fried catfish is the other white meat.

18. We don't need no stinking driver's Ed....if our mama says we can drive, we can drive.

19. If you understand these jokes, forward them to your friends from LOUISIANA (and those who just wish they were). Not EVERYONE can be a LOUISIANIAN, it's an art form
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: THANGS I LARNED WILE LIVIN IN LUSIANA
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 10:19:51 pm »
I ain't fum Lusiana, but them all fit me fine. Ceptin you mispelled fixin. It don't be fixing. We fixin tago to tha sto.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 10:38:43 pm »

1. Possums sleep in the middle of the road with their feet in the air (that would be armadillos)

2. There are 5,000 types of snakes and 4,998 live in LOUISIANA .

3. There are 10,000 types of spiders. All 10,000 live in LOUISIANA plus a couple no one's seen before.

4. If it grows, it sticks; if it crawls, it bites.

5. Onced and twiced are words. (a guy actually told me a tornado cut a trailer at big lake camp ground in Tallulah, half in two.)

6. It is not a shopping cart; it is a buggy. (or a push cart)

7. Fire ants consider your flesh as a picnic

8. People actually grow and eat okra. (I like okra)

9. Fix & into is one word: FIXINTO (also fidna, what you fidna be doing?)

10. There is no such thing as 'lunch'. There is only dinner and then there is supper.

11. Ice tea is appropriate for all meals and you start drinking it when you're two. We do like a little tea with our sugar!

12.. Backards and forwards means 'I know everything about you.'

13. Jeet? is actually a phrase meaning 'Did you eat?'

14. You don't have to wear a watch because it doesn't matter what time it is. You work until you're done or it's too dark to see. (this is true)

15. You don't PUSH buttons, you MASH them.

YOU KNOW YOUR FROM LOUISIANA IF:

1. You measure distance in minutes.

2. You've ever had to switch from 'heat' to 'A/C' in the same day. (this is very true)

3. You use 'fix' as a verb. Example: 'I'm fixing to go to the store ' (or fidna go to the store)

4. All the festivals across the state are named after a fruit, vegetable, grain, insect or animal.

5. You install security lights on your house and garage and leave both unlocked.

6. You know what a 'DAWG' is.

7. You carry jumper cables in your car...for your OWN car..

8. You only own five spices: Tony's (Chachere?), salt, pepper, Tabasco and ketchup.

9. The local papers cover national and international news on one page but require 6 pages for local gossip and sports.

10. You think that the first day of deer season is a national holiday.

11. You find 100 degrees Fahrenheit 'a little warm'.

12. You know all four seasons: Deer Season, Duck Season, Crawfish Season, Summer.

13. You know whether another LOUISIANIAN is from, north or south, as soon as they start talking (speaking).

14. Going to Wal-mart is a favorite past time known as 'goin Wal-martin' or 'off to Wally World'?

15. You describe the first cool snap (below 70 degrees) as good gumbo weather.  YEP!

16. A carbonated soft drink isn't a soda, cola or pop...it's a Coke, regardless of brand or flavor.
Example: 'What kinda coke you want?' (this is true)

17. Fried catfish is the other white meat.

18. We don't need no stinking driver's Ed....if our mama says we can drive, we can drive.

19. If you understand these jokes, forward them to your friends from LOUISIANA (and those who just wish they were). Not EVERYONE can be a LOUISIANIAN, it's an art form

20. All paper towels are "Scott" towels.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 10:43:28 pm »
good one jp and 1 more to add = all Kleenex's are nakkens

Amateurs built the ark,

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 08:53:11 am »
There are two types of women.

Those pregnant at 15. And those who you must show up to go to church with the family BEFORE ever getting her on that first date.

And I remember after that, a discussion with her pa. (she was 21 but lived at home while attending college) It went like this...

My response to his last comment.. "Have her home by midnight?"

His response "Boy....there ain't nothing good you could be doing with my daughter after midnight".

She was home at midnight....
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 11:11:56 pm »
The thing I liked about lower Louisiana is that you have to go up hill to reach the river. 

Does arn't hills, dozer lebees.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 01:18:35 am »
Here's another one but applies I'm sure to many different states. If there's a dead deer next to the shoulder of a road, a guy with a truck hasn't passed by yet.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 01:34:43 am »
On a recent trip to my hometown, Natchez, MS, right across the Mississippi river from Louisiana, at 10 PM in the middle of town, I hit a deer - luckily I was going 15 miles an hour - the 8 point buck paused and then ran up into the grounds of an antebellum home.  The car, however, was a mess, so I called the police.  The first policeman who showed up said,

"M'am, I'm not here to write up the report - I just wanted to get that deer."

Linda T in Atlanta (and not in Mississippi hitting deer!)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 10:52:59 am »
On a recent trip to my hometown, Natchez, MS, right across the Mississippi river from Louisiana, at 10 PM in the middle of town, I hit a deer - luckily I was going 15 miles an hour - the 8 point buck paused and then ran up into the grounds of an antebellum home.  The car, however, was a mess, so I called the police.  The first policeman who showed up said,

"M'am, I'm not here to write up the report - I just wanted to get that deer."

Linda T in Atlanta (and not in Mississippi hitting deer!)

Hey Linda, was that the house way up on the hill overlooking the river?

...JP

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 11:05:52 am »
Also a way to measure distance in a truck south of I10 is by 6 packs :shock: :shock:

I'll let you guys figure that one out

100 degrees F ain't bad its the humidity that kills ya

Keith

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 02:32:51 pm »
was that the house way up on the hill overlooking the river?

No, I think you mean Connelly's Tavern on Ellicott Hill - this was Hope Farm - still in town but not by the river!  My daughter saw the deer pause to shake off the hit and then bound up the hill to the grounds of Hope Farm.  After the police did their report, they drove up there and I could see them shining a flashlight to determine if the deer were still there.

Linda T

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 07:26:01 pm »
My daughter saw the deer pause to shake off the hit and then bound up the hill to the grounds of Hope Farm. 

Someone needs some learnin' on how to hit a deer. None of the ones I hit ran off.

:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 08:20:52 pm »
First deer I ever took was a young doe that was laying in the middle of the road and couldn't get up. I pulled up to her and we just looked at each other. I tried helping her up but she just couldn't stand on her feet. I believe her back was broken but showed no blemishes whatsoever when I cleaned her.

A friend of mine helped a deer get untangled from a fence it tried to jump. We believe in fair chase.

I've had deer swimming next to the boat down in venice, would never think to take 'em like that, unless of course I were starving.

...JP

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 09:09:36 am »
Also a way to measure distance in a truck south of I10 is by 6 packs :shock: :shock:

Keith

I think this counts for all La. folks, took plenty of those measurements myself but I am from Denham Springs,

here a example: you live a little ways from here right? Sure I do it almost took 9 beers to get here  :-P  :evil:

Amateurs built the ark,

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2009, 10:19:24 am »

Keith

I think this counts for all La. folks, took plenty of those measurements myself but I am from Denham Springs,

here a example: you live a little ways from here right? Sure I do it almost took 9 beers to get here  :-P  :evil:

Denham is half below I10. What side did you go to bed on?

Keith

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2009, 11:28:45 am »
denham is above I-10, it is split by I-12, I was on the lower part of I-12 about 5 miles north of Port Vincent, all my family on both sides still live there, I grew up down 4-H club road (Hwy 1032) and turn on Mincey Road (Hwy 1033). 

Amateurs built the ark,

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2009, 11:36:19 am »
denham is above I-10, it is split by I-12, I was on the lower part of I-12 about 5 miles north of Port Vincent, all my family on both sides still live there, I grew up down 4-H club road (Hwy 1032) and turn on Mincey Road (Hwy 1033). 

HA HA HA that is absolutely correct. Its a shame I drive that stretch almost daily, now I have had my idiot moment for the day.
 :oops: :oops:
Keith

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2009, 12:52:51 pm »
well I was thinking it was more a test to see if I knew what I was talking about  ;) , yup I was born at the Baton Rouge General, and raised in Denham until I was 22, them moved here to Ga and lived here 20 years now, my wife is from McComb Mississippi. I haven't been home in 2 years but going this year for a week or two. might look you up when I come down. aw my Brother lives in Bruly across the river (west side  :-P )

Amateurs built the ark,

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2009, 06:16:38 pm »
well I was thinking it was more a test to see if I knew what I was talking about  ;) , yup I was born at the Baton Rouge General, and raised in Denham until I was 22, them moved here to Ga and lived here 20 years now, my wife is from McComb Mississippi. I haven't been home in 2 years but going this year for a week or two. might look you up when I come down. aw my Brother lives in Bruly across the river (west side  :-P )

If you come down  do that we can all get together all the Louisiana guys

Keith

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2009, 08:37:49 pm »

If you come down  do that we can all get together all the Louisiana guys

Keith

Crawfish boil??

...JP

anything