Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Longest combs observed?  (Read 13907 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Longest combs observed?
« on: January 16, 2008, 10:43:49 am »
Cindi had asked me a question in the requeening section when we drifted off topic there, so I thought this the appropriate arena to address her question, which I will address to all who have performed cutouts. What are some of the longest hives ya'll have seen when performing cutouts? Another one I might add is, what's the most hives ya'll have observed on a structure?

I'll start. The longest hive I have dealt with was long, but narrow, about 12'. The most I have removed on a house was 4 and that was this past season. I have done many that had two and a handful that had three.

Please feel free to chime in.

Sincerely, JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Longest combs observed?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 10:52:00 am »
JP, good one, this is going to be a very interesting thread.  Twelve feet long eh?  Holy smokers!!!  Maybe there will be some very cool pictures brought to our forum too, I can't wait to see what comes this way.  Beautiful day in this great life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 11:24:30 am »
I suppose the comb could go really long if there is room for it. This one was almost to the bottom of an eight foot wall, north side of house,

This one was in the South wall of same house,

And in this fallen tree just south east of the house,

And this tree west of the house,

And right after this picture was shot a swarm showed up in this tree. That makes five in one location that we could locate.

I also knew of another long structure that had more than five in it. Don't know how many actually were there. And another one in a structure close to there that I did get the bees.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 11:33:28 am »
Jerry, some lovely pictures.  I loved the last one.  Now, does anyone else see what I see.   When I looked at the sun, glimmering through the trees,  I could swear that I see a happy face.  Look closely.  The sun, the beautiful sun, oh that brings that wonderful smile to my face.  We had some sun yesterday, been a long, long time since I have seen that beauty of Mother Nature.  Have a great and wonderful day, Cindi

P.S.  What a picture.  I showed my youngest Grandson if he saw something strange in this picture.  He looked and looked.  And then gleefully said, there is a pumpkin in the tree.  I looked closer, and by golly, it does look like a pumpkin.  Now that is the mind of the child, the things that they see, we should listen and learn from them all the time, hee, hee.

So Jerry, you got a picture of a pumpkin in a tree, how did you get it up there?  Hee, hee, hee, laughing out loud, with that squeeky little laugh, no one can really hear.
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 03:18:10 pm »
Never paid much attention to it but I think that must be the sun... not behind the tree but in a higher position reflecting off the lens.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

Offline wayne

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 09:42:11 pm »
  This one went another 2 feet past the wall into the eaves.

This is about 8 feet vertical.

I was born about 100 years too early, or to late.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 10:09:09 pm »
I've seen them between studs from top to only a few inches from the bottom plate.  Close to eight feet.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 11:11:53 pm »

This was a good size one.

More to come, JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 11:18:16 pm »
the biggest I ever removed was this past year, it had about 15 combs that was 7'10" long x 10" from top to bottom. here the post and pic's

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php?topic=9083.0
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 11:37:41 pm »

Here's that long one that was narrow. I assumed that this hive had swarmed and lost a great deal of its numbers because there were only bees on the front end. I couldn't get it all in the photo, it was too long to fit. I didn't take an exact measurement but I figured it to be about 12' long.

Sincerely, JP

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 12:47:42 am »
whats the going rate in your neck of the woods there mr jp RDY-B

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 01:09:53 am »
whats the going rate in your neck of the woods there mr jp RDY-B

Prices vary. I am constantly adjusting mine to suit my customer's needs as well as my own. If someone's going through hard times, I try and lay them as much slack as possible. Most bee removers in my area charge a minimum of $275.00. There are jobs that you just can't put a price on, that test your very sanity, but its a fun kind of insanity, as our redneck bee reomover from Florida can attest to. You may know him as Understudy. (Hi Brendhan!) I usually give a price of $ or less. Once people realize what you had to go through to perform the cut-out, they are in awe. Sometimes you get tipped. I usually just charge gas money for swarms, but if they're relatively close I don't charge. If I had to remove them all for free, I would. I have great respect for those who don't charge because its a lot of work, and of course a ton of fun. The fun part greatly out weighs the work part of it.

Sincerely, JP

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 10:10:25 am »
Wow, wow, wow!!!  These pictures of bees in their natural are astounding.  Like I said, until recently, I had no clue how they looked and built comb when not in a box that human beings provide for them.  I have been sitting here with my mouth hangin' open!!!  Still, I will leave all this type of work to you guys.  If anyone ever calls me to do a cut out thing, I know I have many forum friends that would willingly come over and do this for them (hee, hee, now wouldn't that be a wonderful thing, ah huh).  Keep those pictures coming, we all love to see what each other is up to and it is a thrill to see.  Have a great and greatest of days.  Cindi

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008, 04:30:32 pm »
question for you guys that do a lot of removals. 

i have decided that i will only do out buildings, or hives that can be reached without doing a lot of wall ripping, etc.  i don't want to get into repair issues and liability stuff. 

when you guys do a removal, how much cleanup do you do?   when i did that barn last year, i told the guy to take a pressure washer to the room after the lagging bees were gone.  for that structure, it was a good option.  i was a mess and there was honey all over even though i had used a tarp.  in the hive i took out of the upper corner of the room, i know honey dripped down between the inner and outer wall and i know there was probably some stuff that i just couldn't reach.

i intend to do this for free until i have all the bees i can use.  i turned down some last year that just seemed imposable to get to. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2008, 09:25:23 pm »
question for you guys that do a lot of removals. 

i have decided that i will only do out buildings, or hives that can be reached without doing a lot of wall ripping, etc.  i don't want to get into repair issues and liability stuff. 

when you guys do a removal, how much cleanup do you do?   when i did that barn last year, i told the guy to take a pressure washer to the room after the lagging bees were gone.  for that structure, it was a good option.  i was a mess and there was honey all over even though i had used a tarp.  in the hive i took out of the upper corner of the room, i know honey dripped down between the inner and outer wall and i know there was probably some stuff that i just couldn't reach.

i intend to do this for free until i have all the bees i can use.  i turned down some last year that just seemed imposable to get to. 

Kathy, based on your desires and concerns if I were you I would focus on vertical hives in one story buildings, because they are generally a lot less messy to deal with. I would suggest you do them from the exterior if at all possible, it may be more work for you, but there's less mess to clean up than if you were to do them from the inside. Its up to you how far you want to go with clean ups, you could take it to the extreme, but since you are not getting paid for the removals, I would leave the clean up part for your customer. When I have to cut open sheetrock to remove them from a wall, I put plastic down on the floor. A shop vac comes in handy also. After you remove the hive you will want to scrape everything you can from the surfaces where comb was attached. This is not an easy feat, and you could take this to the extreme as well. I always have a bucket of water with me to clean tools with, etc... Hope this helps.

Sincerely, JP

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2008, 01:20:17 pm »
On one removal in the house where people still lived, I enclosed myself a work area in plastic to contain the bees.

I also put plastic down on the floor to protect the carpet. Then cut the hole in the wall and proceeded with the removal.

That hole covered with plastic is where I thought they were. But since it was the same sheet of sheet rock it wasn't any problem.

On this one After I closed up the hive that I put them in I went looking for any strays there were. Most all the bees went to the hive. I did it at night. After moving the hive and buckets and stuff out to the vehicle I took down my plastic wall and frame work. Then I rolled up all the rest of the mess in the plastic that covered the carpet. Left them with a clean floor and a couple of holes in the wall.

I tell the folks what I must do to get the bees out. I let them know very clearly from the start that I make holes, get bees, and they have to do the repairs.  It is usually cheaper to go from the inside wall because a sheet of sheet rock is pretty cheap compared to all the stuff you have to tear up and cut out from the outside. So I cut the whole in the wall and get the bees out. Scrape as mush of the comb out as I can. I then leave the rest up to the owner explaining they need to clean out all the honey residue and wax. Wash it down with bleach. Seal all the holes they can find. 

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2008, 01:27:11 pm »
Forgot a couple of things. When we talk about longest comb..... That should mean comb hanging down. Really long combs hanging way down is more impressive than than a little four inch comb running the length of the room.... Don't you think?

Also kathyp,

I have decided I am not going to do over the head removals anymore. Like up in the ceiling, in the rafters, what does Understudy call those things.... soffits ?.... That is just too much especially doing it on a ladder. Just going to stick with the easy ones from now on.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2008, 01:55:01 pm »
I have decided I am not going to do over the head removals anymore. Like up in the ceiling, in the rafters, what does Understudy call those things.... soffits ?.... That is just too much especially doing it on a ladder. Just going to stick with the easy ones from now on.

that second one i found in the barn was above my head, over some shelves that couldn't be removed, and stuck in a corner.  it took more time than the big one and gave me a heck of a back ache :-).  oh well, guess i'll learn as i go.  some of the calls i got last year were strange, most were not honeybees, and a couple were just scary.  the guy who lived out on a remote island and wanted me to help him get the bees out of a cabin......i should change my name to Fred and talk in a deep voice when they call  :evil:

thanks for the info, folks.  i'm sure i'll think of more questions as the year goes on.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2008, 11:17:37 am »
a couple were just scary.  the guy who lived out on a remote island and wanted me to help him get the bees out of a cabin......i should change my name to Fred and talk in a deep voice when they call  :evil:

Kathy, yup, a lone woman on a remote island, back turned, trying to remove bees.  Yup, uh huh.  Change your voice to the man voice, and just plain and simply, don't go there.  You were wise with you decision for sure.  That gave me the willies when I read your post, eeks!!!!  Have a wonderful and beautiful day. Cindi

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2008, 09:54:19 pm »
Here's another one. Wayne, before I post. I wanted to ask you about the second picture of the hive you posted in the wall. I like that one! It looks like a great hive to remove and transfer, did you get the queen on that one?

Sincerely, JP

anything