Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: will 2012 = 1954 ? or even 1936 ?? HOT !!!!  (Read 1963 times)

Offline Sour Kraut

• House Bee
will 2012 = 1954 ? or even 1936 ?? HOT !!!!
« on: July 04, 2012, 12:53:33 pm »
Was talking to the Farm Director of our local radio station ( I do their tech stuff ) and he said forecasters are already saying this is going to be 'another 1954'.

Some of the more pessimistic are making comparisons to 1936

My dad always referred to 1954 as 'the year the corn burned up' and an old farmer here told me how he sat on his parents back porch and watched a field of corn turn from green to white from the bottom up in one afternoon in 1954.

Corn here ( 90 miles N of St. Louis) in the river and creek bottom lands is still OK, but on higher ground it is starting to lose lower leaves.

Offline duck

• House Bee
    • Big Thicket Bees
Re: will 2012 = 1954 ? or even 1936 ?? HOT !!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 01:53:17 pm »
the problems in corn have not even begun to manifest..

http://futures.quote.com/quotes/quote.aspx?qmdirect=1&symbol=%2FZC

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 03:40:29 pm »
I sat beside a  broken down tractor waiting for my father to bring parts one triple diget day.  I watched the top half the wheat heads turn white while he got a snoot full and I boiled figuratively and literally.   That was in the mid sixties, a generally wet period in northern ND.  Droughts come and go.  The last ten years here have been far wetter and cooler than the previous seventeen.  But it still got to 105 yesterday by Billings.  There are depressions filled with water everywhere I have never seen wet.   The fact they rapidly fill with every regional water plant speaks to the fact they have been there before.  I am worried about my flow ending but if it does, it will not signal dramatic climatic shift.  It is cyclic and it will all repeat.

Offline Sour Kraut

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 05:45:45 pm »
Well, it might cool off a bit soon, but still no rain in sight, at least not enough to make a big difference.

7-DAY FORECAST for 62650 (about 90 miles north of St. Louis)

Tonight Mostly clear, with a low around 75. West southwest wind 5 to 8 mph becoming calm after midnight.

Thursday Sunny and hot, with a high near 104. Heat index values as high as 109. West wind 5 to 8 mph.

Thursday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 76. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm after midnight.

Friday Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 103. Heat index values as high as 108. Calm wind becoming west around 6 mph in the morning.

Friday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 77. Calm wind.

Saturday Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 99.

Saturday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 76.

Sunday A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly sunny and hot, with a high near 95.

Sunday Night A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 72.

Monday A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly sunny, with a high near 88.

Monday Night A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 69

Tuesday Mostly sunny, with a high near 86.

Tuesday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 69.Wednesday

Offline DLMKA

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 01:24:24 pm »
I'm in Peoria about 90 miles north of you.  We've had a few spotty pop up showers that have kept the corn crop looking decent in some areas but right in my area we've not had any of those showers.  The corn field near my bee yard is tasseling now at 4-5' tall and the leaves are rolled up tight as cigars.  Might as well plow it under now, it won't produce enough to pay for fuel to harvest it and bring it to the elevator.  The heat couldn't have come on at a worse time for the corn crops, everything has started tasseling in the last week or will in the next week.  The only thing saving it is the humidity keeping the pollen grains from being dessicated by the time they get to the silks.

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 11:12:44 pm »
My empire is melting in the sun.  My bees sit in the middle of more alfalfa that is on CRP that won't be cut than they could normally use.  Except in the low spots the flowers are browning off before ever opening.  The bees are getting a flow of sorts from those low spots but it won't last without rain.  I may be finding why these locations have not been found ad used by one of the three commercial beeks in the general area.   

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 12:49:01 pm »
It is just awful. Central WI here, and farmers are starting to chop their corn to have something. Some of it is toxic for nitrites. Others are feeing their cattle straw, I hear, just to have SOMEthing to feed them. I haven't checked my bees in a month. Too busy watering our acre of CSA vegetables and fruit. The bees are all over the garden, and there's certainly not much else that isn't crispy brown around here. I'm afraid to go look at the hives.
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson