Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Oxalic treatment for Varroa and the effect on SHB  (Read 3357 times)

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
Oxalic treatment for Varroa and the effect on SHB
« on: December 11, 2012, 02:16:28 pm »
Howdy Folks:

I treated some test hives over the past 2 months for Varroa mites using a vaporizer. One thing I did notice on subsequent inspections was the decrease in the amount of SHB in the treated hives. Not sure if it was the acid but there was a noticable decrease after the treatments. All 3 hives had plenty of SHB's prior to treatment, controllable but there were many.

On the 2 hives that I had vaporized, the count was only 5 or 6 seen when doing the inspection where on the untreated hive, the count was probably 30-40 plus.

Not sure if anyone has had this same experience.

We haven't had any temps yet below 45F and the daily temps have been 70-80F so I don't think that the temp had much to do with the hives with the fewest SHB.

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
    • TangleWood Apiary
Re: Oxalic treatment for Varroa and the effect on SHB
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 04:17:43 pm »
Anyone????

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 08:55:53 pm »
I have never tried using a vapor.  Maybe messing up but haven't treated for mites, just SHB's.

Joe

Offline Jeanette

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 09:11:08 pm »
Scientists have had a look at whether oxalic treatment was effective against small hive beetle. From what I've read, they got mixed results - reasonable success with low infestations, but little success with high infestations.

US Dept Agriculture:
http://www.spcru.ars.usda.gov/research/publications/Publications.htm?seq_no_115=252217&pf=1

Research gate:
http://www.researchgate.net/publication/226107826_Organic_acids_and_thymol_unsuitable_for_alternative_control_of_Aethina_tumida_(Coleoptera_Nitidulidae)
Jeanette

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 08:52:00 am »
Thanks Jeanette:

I'll read those links. I was impressed on what happened... maybe a fluke but I hope that the vapor kills both!

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

anything