Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: cleaning wax  (Read 2138 times)

Offline Tracy

• New Bee
cleaning wax
« on: September 11, 2005, 02:57:03 pm »
morning all, i have all this beatiful wax and am unsure about the process of cleaning it and being able to use it for craft purposes such as lip balm.if anyone feels like enlightening me , i would be ever so grateful. thanks tracy

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
cleaning wax
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 06:38:35 pm »
Like any aspect of beekeeping there are many methods and in the end you'll have to arrive at one that works for you.

I melt mine with some water in the bottom and coarse strain it through a screen to get the big stuff out.  Then I put it back in the pot and heat it and fine strain it through some cloth.  After it hardens scrape off the crud on the bottom and you should have some nice clean wax.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Jay

• House Bee
cleaning wax
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 01:18:59 pm »
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
cleaning wax
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 02:26:16 pm »
I suppose I should also point out that the taller the column of wax in proportion to the surface area, the more concentrated the sludge on the bottom is.  In other words, a 1/4" thick layer of wax over a 12" square 2" deep pan will waste more wax scraping the crud off the bottom than the same wax poured into a 4" by 4" by 10" tall paper milk carton.

I like the half gallon milk cartons.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything