Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Imageshack rant  (Read 4501 times)

Offline eri

• House Bee
Imageshack rant
« on: June 26, 2008, 09:31:08 am »
I find Imageshack's practice of loading a popup window and then animated advertising *&)^ at the top of the photo page so irritating that I cringe every tiime I see someone post a photo hosted by them in the forums. Not only that, but one photo per page, so multiple times I'm offered a computer or a date or whatever if I want to view more than one photo. IMHO, picasa and photobucket are much better. If I were on dialup I'd give up. Why people choose Imageshack I can't fathom and of course, I wish they wouldn't!
On Pleasure
Kahlil Gibran
And to both, bee and flower, the giving and the receiving of pleasure is a need and an ecstasy.
People of Orphalese, be in your pleasures like the flowers and the bees.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: Imageshack rant
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 09:46:39 pm »
photobucket also shows ads unless the poster has a paid account.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 01:51:36 pm »
Well I see Cindi was having troubles with Image Shack. I too had troubles over the weekend. When I used the button below it brought me to a strange Image Shack window, not the usual one. I sent dallas some of the pictures and asked that he post them, thanks again dallas, and I finally was able to host a couple of pictures but it took 5 minutes or longer for each picture. I deleted all cookies, ran adaware, ran anti virus and I was clean so I dont know what the trouble is.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 02:54:46 pm »
I deleted all cookies, ran adaware, ran anti virus and I was clean so I dont know what the trouble is.

It's the ImageShack website.  It seems it gets overloaded from time to time and goes belly up. All free image hosting have their issues, some more than others.  As the saying goes, "You get what you pay for".  Zunibee's $2/month hosting is a great deal if you can't deal with the free stuff issues AND has a lot more than just photo hosting.

rob...
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 06:11:47 pm »
Thanks for the info. Even though $2 is chaep Im cheaper than that. Ill save the money and put it towards the bees.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 09:39:50 am »
I haven't seen an ad since Firefox with the AdBlock plus plugin  :)  I can even block the more annoying animated avitars!! :-D  No more girls jumping on trampolines somehow selling mortgages (do they still show that one??)!!!
Rick

Offline eri

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 09:52:11 am »
Adblock Plus is great! I don't recall girls on trampolines, but Imageshack has some nasty, er, effective spy tools because I was consistently bombarded with the message that 2 guys in Raleigh desperately wanted to date me! So the site "knew" I was female and where I lived. Yuk. The Mozilla teams have always created superior web browsers since way back when it was grad students in a basement at Urbana-Champaign. Micro$oft's IE is another story.
On Pleasure
Kahlil Gibran
And to both, bee and flower, the giving and the receiving of pleasure is a need and an ecstasy.
People of Orphalese, be in your pleasures like the flowers and the bees.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 11:41:06 am »
i gave up on IS.  i am pretty handy with a computer, but that program frustrated me.  i use Picasa2 and it is great.  no more than you need to post pics, but enough to give you some good options.  and....free.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 01:57:00 pm »
Rob locked the topic that I posted in about where's Imageshack so I have to post in this one.  I still can't get into Imageshack.  In the window where the link to imageshack was is now something that says "upload your own browser", I click on it and the imageshack home page shows, but when I click to go into imageshack, nothing happens, just a little frog on the left with the imageshack logo beside it.  Rather frustrating I know, but I do like the program, I just wish that I could figure out if it can upload multiple pictures.  I have to upload each picture and then close imageshack to get them into the post.  Probably doing something wrong, doesn't a carpenter always blame their tools, hee, hee.  Beautiful day, beautiful life, beautiful, beautiful.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 10:51:52 am »
If you follow the method described in the tutorial, it works fine.
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,6691.0.html

If you where using some other ad hoc method that no longer works, I can not help.  We are simply using a plugin to integrate ImageShack for those who are not computer savvy.  We do not control the code or look of links, button, etc in the Post Message screen, we merely link to it. 

Once again,  ImageShack is a free service, and we provide an integrated link to using it.  If one is not happy with it, don't use it.

The ranting will now stop here too.  If there are issues with the plug in not working as described in the tutorial, please post a help request in the administration and we will address it, but the bashing of ImageShack will stop.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

anything