Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My Nuc Design With Feeder.  (Read 3583 times)

Greywulff

My Nuc Design With Feeder.
« on: October 15, 2008, 11:09:00 am »
These are 5 frame BS National Nuc's but the dimensions could easily be adapted to any size of frame. No woodwork joints here but they should last along time. Made from rough saw white deal timber and coated in bee safe paint (wood preserver with no woodworm chemicals) The floor of the garage is very uneven, its not the nuc's  :-D :-D

Flight board and entrance.

The inside showing 1 frame and plastic frame slides.

The Feeder at the rear.

Ventilation in the bottom of the feeder for any drips to pass through and dry out any spillage.

The feeder in Place this is a 1 pint milk container with needle holes pricked in the lid acts like contact feeder. Of course a jar contact feeder could be used.

All going well I'd like to be able to fill these next year. :shock: :-D :shock: I'll try....
These are a very low buget nuc which suits me.

Offline BenC

• House Bee
Re: My Nuc Design With Feeder.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 02:01:22 pm »
I can't tell from the pictures, are the roofs foam insulation?  Do you use any form of inner cover?
Nice job.

Greywulff

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 02:11:27 pm »
are the roofs foam insulation?  Do you use any form of inner cover?

No, Do you think I would be wizer to use something?

Offline BenC

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 03:35:50 pm »
If the bees glue the top on the box and the frames to the top, a telescoping top can be difficult to remove as there's no good way to get a lever in there.  If the nucs are only for short term service it shouldn't be an issue.

Greywulff

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 04:01:45 pm »
Have lots of 6mm ply and I could cut out crown boards with beading around the outside. That should stop then glueing it.

Thanks never though of this, its good to talk  :-D :-D

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 05:19:24 pm »
I like it!  Nice job.   :lol:
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 08:55:48 am »
Have lots of 6mm ply and I could cut out crown boards with beading around the outside. That should stop then glueing it.

Thanks never though of this, its good to talk  :-D :-D

The inner cover doesn't need to be anything fancy.  I like to use pieces of old political signs. Here in the US it is called coroplast (it is like plastic corrugated cardboard).  You can also just use pieces of canvas or garden weed barrier.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

anything