Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Probably a weird question...  (Read 1836 times)

Offline charlotte

• House Bee
Probably a weird question...
« on: October 22, 2008, 01:04:07 pm »
This is probably a weird question...but I was wondering...

Taking into consideration that Carniolans are more prone to swarming and keep smaller winter clusters, thus needing less reserve, and Italians are less prone to swarming and keep bigger winter clusters, thus needing higher reserves...

If I had a hive of carnies and one of italians, both healthy, could I switch up brood with nurse bees on them between the two hives and then have 2 hives mixed that would need sort of a medium sized reserve for winter and decrease the swarminess of pure carnies, or does it all just depend on the queen??

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or experience with the above!!
Sleep is overrated!

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Probably a weird question...
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 11:13:58 pm »
Carnies are of northern  European origin, Italians from southern Europe, think of the as cold and warm weather bees respectfully.

Switching frames won't do what you want, drone deversity in mating areas is what creates the desired objective.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline charlotte

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 11:52:05 pm »
Thank you so much for the info!
I have tried researching this question for awhile and have come up empty handed until now.

Drone diversity?
So- if I let them requeen/superceed the cross of the two may produce a "hybrid vigor"?   
Sleep is overrated!

Offline Derek

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 12:37:08 am »
Not nessicarly. I believe. The queen still has to mate at the DCA. And depending on your area who know who she mates with.