Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm traps  (Read 8580 times)

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
Swarm traps
« on: October 09, 2009, 10:06:12 am »
Hi all,  one of our members said that I should be building swarm traps over the winter for next spring.
I'm new to all this so I need some plans or drawings of traps that worked for you. 
I'm in the construction business so have woodworking tools and plenty of time.
Would be interested in buying vs. building some if cheep enough.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Swarm traps
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 10:42:30 am »
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 10:43:29 am »
Welcome to Beemaster! If you use the search mode and type in "swarm trap" it'll pull up quite a bit of information. With that said, I prefer large traps over small. Larger traps will accomodate larger swarms.

If you have the time and energy to put together some extra deeps with frames with either starter strips or foundation of your liking, you can set these out and not have to worry about transferring them into another set up.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 01:55:26 pm »
Terry
I have a couple of types and both work great.  For a couple of seasons I used Robos 12" sona tubes and still do.  They are light and made right will hold 3-4 frames.  The only problem with them is they get mushy from moisture and most of the time are only good for 1 season.  What I started doing this past year was make light weight luan nuc's.  They hold five frames are still very light and the last.  I used 3/4 X 3/4 pine for the frame rests and to support the edges.  The most important thing is the bait.  Drawn comb dark if possible and lemongrass oil.   The books will tell you to put the 10 - 15 feet in the air but I hate ladders so all of mine are 7" at the highest and they have worked sitting as low as a foot off the ground.  Put them in a shady spot at the edge of open areas.  Honestly I can hang one in the morning of a nice day and go back in the afternoon and there will be scouts checking them out.  Have them out by the middle to late May and leave them until july and you will catch bees

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 07:02:34 pm »
Sorry, I need to look in search before posting questions.  I guess most subjects have been talked to death. So much to learn for an old guy like me.
Danno, got any pictues of luan lightweight boxes?  Do you just make to fit deep frames?
What's a guy to do if I don't have any hives to get old dark comb from?

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 09:53:39 pm »
Any beekeeper would gladly rustle you up some old comb for swarm traps. If you're in a local bee club, start your quest there.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 09:45:53 am »
Sorry, I need to look in search before posting questions.  I guess most subjects have been talked to death. So much to learn for an old guy like me.
Danno, got any pictues of luan lightweight boxes?  Do you just make to fit deep frames?
What's a guy to do if I don't have any hives to get old dark comb from?
As JP stated get old comb from old beeks.  I bought 4 deep boxed with 40 frames for next to nothing.   as for pics last spring I posted a bunch of pics on here.  The luan boxes are made with 3/4 pine ends 9"s wide and 9 5/8 high with a frame rest cut at the top.  I then cut luan for sides tops and bottoms.  Small strips of 3/4 beef up the bottom and top edges and provide a place to screw the luan top on. 

Offline Grandma_DOG

• House Bee
  • Build it, and they will comb.
    • LearningBeekeeping
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 05:38:35 pm »
I've seen lots of pictures, but no one actually has published a design.

Design includes, dimensions, list of materials, connections (nails here, screws there), hints on fabrication.

Does someone have a pdf or know of a published design?
Here is my new book on Swarm Trapping at http://learningbeekeeping.com/beekeeping-articles/how-to-swarm-trap/ and follow me on youtube at OutOfaBlueSky

bigbearomaha

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 07:30:40 pm »
I have an experimental bait hive that  I am trying out. Came from a suggestion from an old fella who said it worked every time for him.

Take one of the plastic four gallon milk crates

Insert cardboard to cover the insides of the crate entirely. (I plan to use 1/4 in luan instead, cardboard melts in the rain...yuck)

Toward the bottom of one of the sides, cut a smallish (roughly 1 inch diameter) hole

Toss some old comb inside.

Cover the whole thing with a piece of board that covers the entire top, secure it to the crate with a couple straps or some twine.

Place it where you suspect it will get attention, on a tree, wherever

After you find a swarm has taken up residence, you can cover the hole and move it to where the new hive is.

Take the lid off, they likely have started building comb on the bottom of it.

This fella used the shake down approach of emptying the box in front of the new hive

You can try to save the comb and affix it to frames.

I am collecting milk crates over the winter to give about 10 of them a test in the spring.

Let you know how they do.

Big Bear

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 07:34:00 pm »
I've seen lots of pictures, but no one actually has published a design.

i use the wax covered cardboard nuc boxes.  they are light weight, the comb fits securely, and they are easy to transfer to yard.  i use them for swarm calls also.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2009, 08:55:41 am »
I'm building a couple of Dannos luan framed swarm traps for next spring. Just trying to decide if they should be 3 frame or 5 frame. I have heard that most swarms will not fit in a 3 frame trap. An old beek said that I need as much bee space that a medium super provides. What happens when the swarm is 3 pounds of bees? Will they move on to something larger?

Offline fish_stix

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2009, 12:16:11 pm »
Doesn't it make sense to anyone to just build and use nuc boxes for swarm traps? Then you could always use them for other exciting endeavors, like making up nucs!

bigbearomaha

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2009, 02:42:39 pm »
Doesn't it make sense to anyone to just build and use nuc boxes for swarm traps?

I'm sure it does to people who use nucs.

I am making ktbh nucs now.  but I don't plan to use those as bait hives.

Big Bear

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 02:54:18 pm »
and depending on where you are putting them, there can be a weight issue.  that's why i like the cardboard nuc boxes.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2009, 09:24:25 am »
Doesn't it make sense to anyone to just build and use nuc boxes for swarm traps? Then you could always use them for other exciting endeavors, like making up nucs!
As Kathy said its the weight issue.  I have about 25 nuc's the they will be full of splits when swarm season comes.  Also if you dont fill them with frames they will draw comb in the missing slots and this can be a mess when I transfer them.  With a easy to build, light weight 3 frame all I have to do is pop the top and slide them into a permanent home.  I have had swarms that dont fit but have found that they start drawing comb off the bottom. 

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2009, 09:01:00 pm »
I guess weight matters when i'm climbing around off the ground but its more about saving a few bucks. I can make a load of these things for the price of one store bought nuc. I'm liking the dark drab paint scheme too Danno.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2009, 10:58:57 pm »
I like to use old wooden ware that I have taken out of service for the most part. Makes me think I am getting my moneys worth out of it. The bees don't seem to mind too bad.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2009, 08:31:10 am »
I guess weight matters when i'm climbing around off the ground but its more about saving a few bucks. I can make a load of these things for the price of one store bought nuc. I'm liking the dark drab paint scheme too Danno.
One more thing that I do is never take my feet off the ground.  I hate ladders so my traps are no higher that I can reach.  Most about eye level

anything