Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Louisiana Hive Update  (Read 1837 times)

Offline gov1623

• House Bee
Louisiana Hive Update
« on: February 01, 2014, 04:41:39 pm »
Just wanted to share the first inspections of the year. All 40 of my hives are still alive and going strong. A few were really impressive for this time of year. Maple and dandelion is blooming right now and the bees are expanding rapidly. Most hives have at least 3 to 4 full frames of brood with good populations. Lots of capped drone brood so looking to start making splits in a couple weeks. I saw a good bit of fresh nectar in the hives and a ton of pollen. This is the best my hives looked this early since I started beekeeping. Im thinking it had alot to do with the great fall flow we had because they are still very heavy on stores. Looks like I need to really get started in the wood shop as my goal for the year will be towards queen and nuc production. Just thought I would share my excitement with y'all.  
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 05:01:36 pm by gov1623 »
Who Dat!!!

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
Re: Louisiana Hive Update
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 05:15:41 pm »
You have a lot to be excited about!  Sounds like you have been doing a great job.  Forty live booming hives is not an accident.  Hats off to you sir.   

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 06:03:50 pm »
sounds great.  i hope i see the same things going on in my hives soon.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 07:41:09 pm »
Good going there gov.

Joe

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 09:37:34 pm »
That's great! Keep us posted on what coming into bloom down there.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 10:40:30 pm »
Alright good news on the hives.
We will be about 2 - 3 weeks behind ya'll here in Central Arkansas.
My hives are doing good also, put candy on them last Sunday before this cold spell.
I will start my hives on Protein Patties and 1-1 sugar syrup on the first warm day in the middle of February.
I won't go deep in my hives until the 1st warm day in March and then I'll checker board them and do some splitting.
Keep us posted it gives me something to look forward to.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline richter1978

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 12:19:23 pm »
NE Florida looks to be nice and warm this week, makes me excited to here a good report from Louisiana.  I'll be poking through the hives this week!  Lots of maple blooming here.

Offline Carol

• House Bee
    • critters and crawlers visiting or living in my back yard
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 02:58:57 pm »
My girls are bringing in lots of pollen. Temperature is 80 today...had a few days of rain and looks to be in the 80's or mid to high 70's for at least a week.... lots of light to white pollen and dark orange.