Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I need a new supplier  (Read 4832 times)

Offline WalshMC

• Brood
Re: I need a new supplier
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2011, 02:31:38 pm »
So, I am new to beekeeping, got started a little late and feel your frustration!  I dealt with Busy Bees Apiaries and after having placed the order in March for delivery mid-April, taking 3 vacation days in order to definitely be at the country house for the shipment, we find out that there was a shortage and they never shipped.  And still haven't.  Despite multiple calls and promises that they were going to ship out "this week" (we stopped taking vacation, however).  The tone of the announcements were "yes, we know you were supposed to get bees but our supplier is having trouble, don't call us, we'll call you . . . and remember we're a family-owned business so don't expect customer service."  We finally cancelled the order. People like Hardemans and Busy Bees and all these folks who are out there peddling bees online need to realize they've got a business to run and people who are really

B Weaver got some extra nucs this spring from friends in Fla., were local to us (in TX) and far more professional.  We're hoping (fingers crossed!) to get them later this week/early next.

Offline Francus

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2011, 03:19:47 pm »
I fear I may be in the same boat. I, too, am new to beekeeping. I ordered some carnies from a supplier in Tennessee, a mere 4 hour drive from my house. I decided to have them delivered rather than take a day off work with no pay.

The bees are now 3 weeks overdue and their website says it will be 2 to 3 more weeks and I am getting impatient. I am afraid even if I get my bees they won't have time to draw comb and store up honey for the winter, especially as I am going foundationless.

I haven't cancelled the order yet, but I'm getting antsy. I have been looking a the local bee club and someone sells mutts. I am considering getting some and ordering a queen from somewhere. Or not.

Again, due to the lateness of it all I may not have time to get bees and get going.
"...but Sweetie, it's basically just an Ant Farm for adults...."

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2011, 04:10:00 pm »
I fear I may be in the same boat. I, too, am new to beekeeping. I ordered some carnies from a supplier in Tennessee,

Who sells Carnies in Tn?

Offline Francus

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2011, 04:15:58 pm »
Long Creek Apiaries. They sell Russians as well. And queens. When I've talked to the guy on the phone he seems nice. But I don't have any bees yet. I'd rather have the bees right now than all the nice.

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2011, 04:17:43 pm »
Long Creek Apiaries. They sell Russians as well. And queens. When I've talked to the guy on the phone he seems nice. But I don't have any bees yet. I'd rather have the bees right now than all the nice.

Do a search on here for Long Creek Apiaries and Ill send you a PM.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2011, 08:26:45 pm »
I recommend getting a full hive of mutts locally. It will have a much better chance of surviving the winter and the mutts around here seem to take fewer and less treatments that the breeder's royalty. If you can't find them locally, I'm only 75 miles from you and there's hives for sell here. You can drive up, pick them up at dark, and not miss work. PM me if you are interested.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2011, 08:27:52 pm »
I recommend getting a full hive of mutts locally. It will have a much better chance of surviving the winter and the mutts around here seem to take fewer and less treatments that the breeder's royalty. If you can't find them locally, I'm only 75 miles from you and there's hives for sell here. You can drive up, pick them up at dark, and not miss work. PM me if you are interested.

And no shipping required.

Offline cowboygourmet

• New Bee
    • Autrey's Friendship Farms
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2011, 09:35:53 am »
Who sells Carnies in Arkansas or Texas? Also is there anyone that sells nucs etc with Russian Queens?
Jest Remember to Keep your hands on the plow and your eyes on the Lord

Offline Francus

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2011, 06:30:46 pm »
Thanks a bunch for all the help last night idee. The mutts are installed and doing fine!

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2011, 06:56:04 pm »
Good news. Keep us up to date.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline caticind

• House Bee
  • Nothing sweeter...
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2011, 11:50:22 am »
So, I am new to beekeeping, got started a little late and feel your frustration!  I dealt with Busy Bees Apiaries and after having placed the order in March for delivery mid-April, taking 3 vacation days in order to definitely be at the country house for the shipment, we find out that there was a shortage and they never shipped.  And still haven't.  Despite multiple calls and promises that they were going to ship out "this week" (we stopped taking vacation, however).  The tone of the announcements were "yes, we know you were supposed to get bees but our supplier is having trouble, don't call us, we'll call you . . . and remember we're a family-owned business so don't expect customer service."  We finally cancelled the order.

Wait, why are you buying from Busy Bee if you're not local to them?  I live 30 minutes from them, and they're an excellent business, but extra heavy emphasis on the LOCAL.  The customer service is superb, provided you walk in, but if they're talking to you they sometimes let the phone ring.

Their whole deal is that if you live nearby, you can get Brushy Mountain equipment at catalog price and reasonably decent Georgia packages without paying any shipping, just the gas you spend to come pick up your order.  They drive to Georgia to pick up their packages, absorb any packages lost in shipping, then fill orders quite literally off the back of the truck.  They call you on the day the bees come in, no worrying about delivery date.  Their customers get to examine the packages and queens on receipt and are NEVER stuck with the OPs dilemma of getting bees that died en route.  If you ordered a package from them to be shipped through the mail, that's kind of missing the point.  

You'd be better off finding a supplier close to you, though it sounds like you've reached that conclusion already.  I've heard good things about B Weaver.
The bees would be no help; they would tumble over each other like golden babies and thrum wordlessly on the subjects of queens and sex and pollen-gluey feet. -Palimpsest

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2011, 12:41:19 pm »
Busy bee in Chapel hill, NC is not connected to Busy Bee in Douglasville, Ga.

Please specify which one you are talking about. You could damage a good company's image by not doing so. Maybe that's why Beemaster frowns on naming names on the forum.

*Shel Silverstein*