Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: WannaBee  (Read 3533 times)

Offline brboardman

• New Bee
    • http://www.NowImWell.com
WannaBee
« on: February 01, 2006, 09:33:16 pm »
Hi John and All.

Just thought I'd introduce myself.  I stumbled across your website and was thrilled to find a place where I think I'll be able to learn.  Although my dad was born and raised in New Jersey (Cedar Grove), the Navy landed him years ago in the Seattle area where he worked 37 years as an engineer for Boeing.  Thus, most of our family is out here on the other end of the country from you.

About five years ago my wife had a bout with breast cancer which caused us to drastically change our dietary lifestyle.  Among the many changes we made, was the fact that we began sweetening with honey.  I grew up with some kids whose father had kept bees for many years, so we started buying honey from him - four gallons at a time.  For several years, he would show me what was happening in his hives whenever I'd show up to buy honey.  Of course, I was fascinated and told him that one day I might have to have a hive of my own.  Time passed and last January I bought his last seven colonies when he decided that 86 years old was too old for beekeeping - at least for him.

I took a class from a gal out my way with an apiary supply store and got myself headed, I think, in the right direction.  Made it through my first year with only three swarms (all recovered) and managed to extract about 110 lbs of blackberry honey taken from four of the seven hives.  Built my own extractor and had enough honey for many Christmas gifts.

Currently, I am, as I'm sure all beekeepers are, keeping my fingers crossed in the hope of still having bees in the Spring.

The thing I wish for the most, but have not been able to find yet, is someone who actually knows what they're doing who'd be willing to come and actually see/watch what I'm doing and tell me whether any of it is correct or not!  I feel as though I'm virtually always flying by the seat of my pants.  I'm hoping that, short of that, your site/forum may expose me to some experts who'll be willing to answer specific questions when they come up.

One question I have is:  What are the pros and cons of using HFCS to feed with, and if it's alright, is it really any less expensive than just making my own syrup using sugar?  There seems to be a couple different schools of thought on this.

At any rate, I'm sure I'll be in touch using the forum, but thought it would be good to write and thank you for what appears to be a fabulous resource for me!

Later,

Brad
"Eat your fruits and vegetables!" - A whole new meaning.

Offline TREBOR

• House Bee
    • The Cynical Bastards
WannaBee
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 01:32:40 am »
Welcome Brad,
I really don't know the answer to that question, but if you dont
get an answer try posting you questions in the general beekeeping
forum.
  I make sugar syrup with white table sugar(cane) 1:1 ratio
works fine for me!  if you shop around you can get some great deals!
 Anyways welcome again and have fun!

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
WannaBee
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 07:47:09 am »
>One question I have is: What are the pros and cons of using HFCS to feed with, and if it's alright, is it really any less expensive than just making my own syrup using sugar? There seems to be a couple different schools of thought on this.

Most people say there is not difference to the bees (if you buy the right kinds).  Some people don't trust the HFCS and think it's bad for the bees.  I've never used it.  The main differences are that it costs more to ship the HFCS because you're paying to ship the water.  You usually have to buy large quantities to save any money at it.  I just make syrup five gallons to a batch and some days I make three batches.  But that's only a few times a year.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Jay

• House Bee
WannaBee
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 05:03:29 pm »
I think the real advantage of HFCS goes to the commercial beekeeper who has 700 hives and doesn't have the time to make sugar syrup on his stove for all 700 hives. It comes all mixed up to proper ratio, and in bulk for his big operation. No mixing, no mess! :D
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson

Offline brboardman

• New Bee
    • http://www.NowImWell.com
HFCS
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2006, 11:45:01 am »
Hey Guys!

Thanks for the responses on my HFCS question.  I sure appreciated you taking the time.

It sounds to me like I should just stick with making my own syrup as usual.  It's really no problem anyway.

I'll have to keep my ear to the ground for the best buys on sugar!  Right now I'm buying it 25 lbs at a time at Costco for about $10.50.  Do you guys all just use regular refined sugar?  Or might there be other types to consider?

Have a great weekend!  Go Seahawks!

Brad
"Eat your fruits and vegetables!" - A whole new meaning.

Offline TREBOR

• House Bee
    • The Cynical Bastards
WannaBee
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 02:14:13 am »
I use granulated white cane sugar, the same as I use.
there is also granulated sugar(it dosnt say cane on it)
 but I find when I use it myself it makes my head hurt.
 so I wont use it for my bees
Have fun!

anything