Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: For crying outloud! starving bees  (Read 2088 times)

Offline Rodni73

• House Bee
For crying outloud! starving bees
« on: September 17, 2009, 09:43:08 am »
My two hives have very very little stores this fall. I just checked them both. We had a miserable and wet spring and summer here in New Jersey. I have filled a miller type feeder on Monday & on one hive it was sucked dry while the other is halfway through.

I am going to replenish both today with syrup. I hope I will be able to give them enough to last them through the tough winter ahead.

I will keep feeding them!

Any news from other New Jersey beeks? Are we all in the same boat or is it my darn luck.

-Regards to all
-Rodni

Offline Davepeg

• House Bee
Re: For crying outloud! starving bees
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 09:48:44 pm »
We're on the NJ\NY border.  We checked our hives last weekend, we have 6 hives.  Only one hive has any real honey stores.  We do see brood in the hives, just no honey.  We have started to continually feed, hoping they will build up some honey before the real cold sets in.  On the few sunny days, we do see them out in the garden, but I think this will be a heavy feed fall and winter.  I was unable to spot the queens (but never can), but since we saw brood we are assuming that we have laying queens.

Peg
We love the girls...

Offline josbees

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 10:39:34 pm »
Im in CT.  I've been feeding every 3 or 4 days for the last couple weeks now.  With all this wet weather I've also had recurring chalkbrood issues.

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 11:47:22 pm »
My two hives have very very little stores this fall. I just checked them both. We had a miserable and wet spring and summer here in New Jersey. I have filled a miller type feeder on Monday & on one hive it was sucked dry while the other is halfway through.

I am going to replenish both today with syrup. I hope I will be able to give them enough to last them through the tough winter ahead.

Any news from other New Jersey beeks? Are we all in the same boat or is it my darn luck.

-Regards to all
-Rodni

I would feed them all winter.
Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation

Offline scdw43

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 11:54:43 pm »
Sugar, even a todays prices is still cheaper that bees are.
Winter Ventilation: Wet bees die in hours maybe minutes, no matter how much honey is in the hive.

Offline Tyro

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 03:48:44 pm »
I am in North Dakota.  My hives are taking a gallon of 2:1 every 3-4 days. 

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 04:07:11 pm »

-Regards to all
-Rodni

Rodni,

You are NOT alone. Our NJ State Apiarist has seen lack of stores and heavy mites throughtout the State. I have a couple of hives with good stores, but the rest will have to be fed, so I would say we had a crappy nectar flow this year, but no matter what, I still enjoy keeping bees, it's the chase ( really a fight ) that counts.  :-D

anything