Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Deal or no Deal  (Read 2257 times)

Offline jdesq

• House Bee
Deal or no Deal
« on: July 01, 2009, 10:16:02 am »
I have a chance to get some hives consisting of cover, inner cover, bottom board ,2 hive bodies and 2 med. supers with drawn out frames for $50.00 each. The guy is ratcheting down his apiary and has 30 of these to go. I can only afford 8- do you think this is okay or should I worry about bringing disease into my small apiary. I hate to pass up on a bargain. What does the brain trust think?

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
Re: Deal or no Deal
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 10:24:30 am »
Looks good to me, whether they come with bees or not, make sure they are hard chemical & disease free.  :)

Offline jdesq

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 10:26:32 am »
No bees just wooden ware.

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 10:32:43 am »
It is still a good deal ( to me anyways ), I would still be concerned with what hard chemicals ( if they were in use ) and any spores of American Foulbrood. I am not familiar with your Ag laws, but if he has a clean bill of health from the apiary inspector, I would be on it.  :)

Offline harvey

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 11:37:01 am »
I would love to find a deal like that.  New equipment is expensive.  I couldn't buy a top cover inner cover and bottom board for that price out of the catalog let alone the brood boxes.  I regards to chemicals I think you could buy all new frames from Dadent,  discard the old ones and still be way ahead money wise than buying new boxes.

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 01:45:33 pm »
I would be all over it.  I would just replace the wax.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline charles

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 01:58:55 pm »
What does the brain trust think?

Deal.
4 hives

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
    • http://WWW.OLEMCDONALD.COM
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 04:29:18 pm »
sounds to me like you will be getting the lid, inner cover and bb for free with that deal.

God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 06:46:41 pm »
sounds good to me, might want to see what happened to the bees that were in them, and what the comb looks like.

even without the frames it sounds like a good deal.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 09:38:10 pm »
deal

if you have concerns, fill a garbage can with water and poor some bleach in.  dip the equipment.  let it dry.  rinse it off.  let it dry.  use it  :-)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 10:14:17 pm »
I wonder what happened to all the bees.  :?

Strange to have clean, untainted chemical comb, and comb not 30 years old, and yet have all this equipment and no bees for them.

Someone once told me something about a "deal to good to be true, usually isn't". But I'm sure it's just a old cliche saying... ;)

I also think asking a poll of questions on a bee forum, about whether one would be bringing disease into ones apiary, would be better questions asked of the seller.  ;)

So what did the seller say? How old is the comb? What chemicals has the wax been exposed? What happened to the bees? Are you from a state that inspects? When was the last time he had AFB or had his hives inspected. After these questions (and others) are asked...go with your gut feeling. Not advise based on a dollar figure from a host of beekeepers not able to see the equipment, ask questions, or lack any risk in the deal. Sellers not willing to answer questions openly and without hesitation.....walk away from. He should respect your willingness to ask questions and protect your investment. Good beekeepers have no problems being grilled when they have nothing to hide. Those that become irritated or think your out of line....walk away!
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com