Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hey, JP and Schawee. Are you guys busy this weekend?  (Read 4372 times)

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
Hey, JP and Schawee. Are you guys busy this weekend?
« on: October 04, 2011, 11:39:39 am »
I just hit the motherlode this morning.  A surface mining company in a neighboring county contacted me about a little bee problem they're having.  Seems they started moving earth on a new project yesterday and were about to bulldoze the house when the foreman noticed bees.  Upon further examination, he found THREE large hives in the walls.  After talking to the regional manager, the bulldozer is on hold until Pam and I can remove the bees this weekend.  He said there's no problem, the crew will just work another section until we're done.  Gotta love those environmentally concerned companies.  I'll try to remember the camera, but I'm sure I'll forget it like I usually do.  (Too busy making sure I have all the other tools....LOL)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Hey, JP and Schawee. Are you guys busy this weekend?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 11:44:10 am »
Just have the crew move the house to your property and wait until spring to remove them.  :-D :-D
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline yockey5

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 11:50:02 am »
I will be watching for the video, if you hurry! Winter will soon be looking at us.

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 01:34:43 pm »
Ideally, I would like to wait until spring to remove them, but that isn't possible.  Since they are going to demolish the house and the bees wouldn't survive, I figure I would give them at least a fighting chance.  By salvaging as much comb as I can and feeding them, I hope they can survive.  We'll see what happens.

There won't be video footage as I have no video camera.  But I'll try to remember to take photos as we progress.  Of course, this would make an excellent hands-on learning experience for anyone wanting to try it... :-D

Offline yockey5

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 06:38:04 pm »
Wish I lived closer to you as I love doing these!

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 07:45:05 pm »
Good luck it sounds like fun.

Annette

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 07:50:40 pm »
3 Large hives  Bonus Building woo..hoo
If you really want it filmed contact a local TV channel
 I'd bet they would love to do a little clip  :-D
I hope all goes well, and they have lots of stores
Good luck with it.
Tommyt
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 08:01:38 pm »
Ideally, I would like to wait until spring to remove them, but that isn't possible.  Since they are going to demolish the house and the bees wouldn't survive, I figure I would give them at least a fighting chance.  By salvaging as much comb as I can and feeding them, I hope they can survive.  We'll see what happens.

There won't be video footage as I have no video camera.  But I'll try to remember to take photos as we progress.  Of course, this would make an excellent hands-on learning experience for anyone wanting to try it... :-D
Why not cut out the three sections of the walls and take them home then in the spring you can move them into your hives.
That is what I am doing with a squirrel house that has a new hive in it. I just hung it on my workshop.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 11:32:00 pm »
got my clothes packed and waiting on the plane tickets :-D.that will be some fun cutouts.i know it late in your aera to do cutouts so this is what i would do.i would rubber band all the brood just like your other cutouts.the difference is i would cut all the honey combs as neet as you can and rubberband them in another box and keep them apart from the brood box.the next day place the comb box on top of the brood that way you have honey for them.the reason to let the honey comb box sit over night is to let the honey drip so it wouldn't get all over the bees. remember the camera. good luck      .........schawee
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 11:40:54 pm »
Looking forward to the pictures!

Schawee and I will be doing this one tomorrow:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

...JP

My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 12:20:06 am »
Looks like a fun one, JP!

I have one other beekeeper, Pam's brother, who is going to give me a hand.  I'm waiting to hear from another one yet.  Hopefully he can make it, too.  Of course, I'll be the old hand at this.  Neither has too much experience at cutouts, so this should be fun.  At least Pam has worked enough of them with me so she knows what I need and when I need it.

Offline caticind

• House Bee
  • Nothing sweeter...
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 05:34:13 pm »
Best part is you don't have to worry about damaging the building or who's going to patch it up afterwards!  :)
The bees would be no help; they would tumble over each other like golden babies and thrum wordlessly on the subjects of queens and sex and pollen-gluey feet. -Palimpsest

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 12:27:01 am »
Well, the best laid plans and all that.... I received a phone call before work this afternoon.  Seems two company employees heard about the bees and want to try removing them.  That means I'm out.  I wish them luck.  I just wish they would have called before I loaded 3/4 of my stuff on the trailer.  Maybe I'll drive south and help JP and Schawee with theirs this weekend.... :-D

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 10:39:43 am »
Len, perhaps the employees will be in over their heads and you will get that call. Less than stranger things have happened but if you don't you are welcome anytime to come on down and do one with us!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2011, 11:45:37 am »
Len, perhaps the employees will be in over their heads and you will get that call. Less than stranger things have happened but if you don't you are welcome anytime to come on down and do one with us!

...JP

Thanks, JP!  Strangely enough, I have actually given some thought to taking some vacation time to do just that.  I mean, after all, isn't vacation time meant to be spent doing fun and relaxing things???   8-)  I could just see trying to explain all that beekeeping gear in my luggage at the airport.   (No, really officer, it's only for smoking bees....LOL)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2011, 05:19:04 am »
Well, we wouldn't require you to bring any equipment. Just showing up is all you need to do.  ;)

...JP

Offline yockey5

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2011, 11:12:59 am »
Well, the best laid plans and all that.... I received a phone call before work this afternoon.  Seems two company employees heard about the bees and want to try removing them.  That means I'm out.  I wish them luck.  I just wish they would have called before I loaded 3/4 of my stuff on the trailer.  Maybe I'll drive south and help JP and Schawee with theirs this weekend.... :-D

This really sucks! In my estimation the bees were already given to you!

Offline Haddon

• House Bee
  • FEMA Trailer Removal
    • Mikes Bee Removal
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2011, 12:01:36 pm »
Given I say he was hired. Send them a cancellation Bill :).

I always hate when that happens but there will be others.