Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello...  (Read 3942 times)

Offline Djenno

• Brood
    • http://www.djennobacvic.com
Hello...
« on: June 04, 2006, 12:56:35 pm »
...to everybody,

My name is Djenno and my wife and I live in Washington DC, in the Capitol Hill area. We have just purchased an old house and have not moved in yet. There is an old tree in the yard, with a huge bee nest inside the tree cavity. We really do not want to have them exterminated!! We would prefer to find a beekeeper who could remove them, or at least help us to put them under some sort of control. At the moment, they control the entire yard, and we feel that it is impossible to live beside them as it is.

I would appreciate any advice or suggestions! Thanx!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Hello...
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 09:38:52 pm »
I appreciate that you don't want to destroy them.  Most people are less tolerant than that.

You have one colony in a tree in your yard.  I have between 25 and 100 colonies IN my yard.  None of the other people living here are beekeepers.  They barely notice the bees.

Are these bees in your tree agressive?   Are you just afraid of bees?  Do they buzz you?  Head butt you?  Or are they just flying around minding their own business?  If they are agressive (head butting, following, stinging etc.) then your best bet is probably just to have them exterminated.  If I was nearby I'd be happy to come and make a try at getting them out of the tree, but the only method that works without cutting down the tree (the cone method) will make a lot more bees in the air during the process (as the bees go out a one way door and can't get back in) and you apparently are already intimidated by them.

Perhaps someone from your area can respond.  You coudl post this on www.beesource.com (go to "exchange") as well and perhaps someone there will respond.

Good luck.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Hello...
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 01:14:13 am »
Michael, Join the Army and recruit another beekeeper today.  Djenno doesn't know what he's missing. We all know ther can never be enough beekeepers.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
Hello...
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 08:10:08 am »
http://www.beekeepersnova.org/

theres some NOVA beekeepers that may be able to help.

Offline Zoot

• House Bee
Hello...
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 12:25:02 am »
We live out in Dickerson which is about 25 miles west of Washington. The most effective organization in the region is the Montgomery County Beekeepers Association. You can simply go to their website and there is a long list of beekeepers (more "masters" here than in any other organiztion in the country) who are available to come capture swarms. Also there is a link for Jerry Fischer who is the head state inspector who also has a list of people by locality who can come out.

You may simply want to call (phone #'s are listed) Dave Bernard who is the curent president and ask his advice.

I'd possibly be interested but I'm a bit short of hive boxes at the moment though I could probably remedy that quickly. Anyway good luck and give a call if you get a chance.

Jim Evans  301 972-8439 (work and home)

PS  what neighborhood/street is the house on? I'm originally a Washingtonian. Chevy Chase-ian actually.

Offline Zoot

• House Bee
Hello...
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 12:33:01 am »
By the way, just in case you get the urge to take Brian's advice (take up beekeeping) remember that the District has made beekeeping illegal which is about on par with their logic on most things. Many people still do it which is great but the nagging issue is that they are not registered anywhere (no inspections, etc) raising the potential spectre of the possibility of undectected/unreported disease.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Hello...
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006, 11:23:35 pm »
> remember that the District has made beekeeping illegal

It must be nice to live in the capital of the land of the free.  Where, of course, you aren't actually allowed do anything.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Hi-Tech

• Field Bee
    • talkhunting.com
Hello...
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2006, 11:36:57 pm »
Well said, MB, well said....
Computer Tech, Beekeeper, Hunter = Hi-Tech Redneck
talkhunting.com

Offline Zoot

• House Bee
Hello...
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2006, 12:23:39 am »
Well, remember that D.C. is run by the federal govt. That's part of the problem. But it's not just D.C. Outside of the world of beekeeping ignorance and increasing prejudice are becoming the norm all over. I feel extremely fortunate to have acreage where I can do whatever I want in relative isolation but I feel badly for anyone who has to face the challenge of keeping their hives where their neighbors can see them. The increasing tendancy to litigate at the drop of a hat combined with mind-numbing stupidity is as much or even more of a danger to beekeeping than the varroa mite. Remember, bad laws (ie: bad govt.) are the result of good people doing nothing.