Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Fake Honey  (Read 2224 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Fake Honey
« on: September 04, 2013, 10:12:07 pm »
I read a while back where China was taking corn syrup or something like it and flavoring it to taste like honey. Then they sell it as honey. The article said that it is passed through a couple of different countries and by the time it gets to the USA the label doesn't say anything about China.

Anyway, I love honey. I haven't had my bees long enough to harvest any but I buy it at the commissary all the time. Recently a friend of mine gave me a quart jar of his honey. In retrospect I never really perceived a sugar taste from the store honey until I ate some of his. It makes me wonder if other counties aren't doing the same.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline rober

• Field Bee
Re: Fake Honey
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 10:47:08 pm »
most of the chinese honey ends up in food, not on store shelves. it's in breakfast cereals, big chain pastries, &  other types of processed foods. i asked general mills which country they bought their honey from & they replies n.o.m.b.

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 06:37:14 am »
Its been going on for a while.  Seems a few from Florida may be going to jail, even some folks from Wisconsin.  NAFTA did little for small farmers but it sure allowed more crooks to rule.

Read an article just recently that as much as 75% of domestic honey sold in the US is fake. 

I tell people all the time, if you buy honey (or any food) it pays to look the producers in the eye, or at least know where they live.
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 07:08:02 am »
I seen some honey in a store that said Corn Syrup and Honey.
That means since Corn Syrup was listed first then it can be over 50% corn syrup.
If Honey is listed first it is usually 50% or higher honey.
A lot of folks won't by honey in a grocery store anymore.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 09:35:51 am »
I got an email from some Chinese beekeeping supply place.  It was talking about foundation and had prices at 50% beeswax up to 100%.  This intrigued me because the US gave up on watering down beeswax for foundation because of both acceptance issues and adulteration issues with selling your beeswax.

But what I found when I went to the site was pictures of honey bears full of what looks like honey over an entry for "High Fructose Rice Syrup" being sold by the barrel.  Something is definitely fishy...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 10:02:40 am »
people have been adulterating honey for a long time.  it was going on in the u.s. in the 70's and probably even before that.

Offline Carol

• House Bee
    • critters and crawlers visiting or living in my back yard
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 11:06:15 am »
Makes a good case for a hive in your back yard  or buying from a local beekeeper you can trust.

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 02:12:20 pm »
  :-X :imsorry:  :-X

Here are two old recipes how to make fake honey or substitutes

2 recipes for substitute honey from the booklet Old Chemical Engineering Recipes

Recipe 1: 1500 g sugar, 525 g of water, the juice of 2 lemons. The mixture is stirred boil 10-15 minutes. Honey aroma is added when the mixture has cooled.

Recipe 2: 1500 g of sugar, 750 g water, 3 liters of buttermilk. The sugar is heated to boiling in water and foamed. Buttermilk is added to stirring constantly.
The water  evaporates of  mixture until it weighs about 2000 g Honey aroma added.

:-X

mvh Edward  :-X

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 04:41:49 pm »
What is honey aroma, how much does it cost, where does a criminal get such a substance to produce fake honey and where besides Walmart can it be sold?  :-D
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."