Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Putting a super from one hive on another?  (Read 4472 times)

Offline dfizer

• House Bee
Putting a super from one hive on another?
« on: September 18, 2012, 09:55:00 pm »
quick question, what is the process for taking a super full of honey off of one hive and putting it on the weaker hive?  Won't the bees from one hive reject the bees from the other?  Should I try to get all of the bees out of the super before transplanting it?  If yes how do I do that?
Please advise...

I plan to transplant the full super Thursday so please tell me what to do...

Best regards -

David

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Putting a super from one hive on another?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 09:57:23 pm »
Describe the set up and how weak is this colony? That is my concern. Tell us the situation so we may better help you. There may be other options to ponder.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline dfizer

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 10:37:33 pm »
Certainly... The "weak hive" is a one deep colony that was the offspring of a split late in the year.  Given the latitude (zone 5 - upstate ny) I was trying to build more brood and honey / sugar stores therefore I was going to take the full honey super off one of my string hives and supplement the hive that has only one deep.  Adding another deep this time of year will do little.... My primary objective into get these gives to survive the harsh northeast winter - then next spring we can take it from there.
Thoughts for getting a single deep growing colony to make it?
David

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 07:23:23 am »
While still on the 'donating' hive, I'd just smoke the super to drive most of the bees out and then move it.

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 09:25:33 am »
Supposed to be 40 degrees where you are tonight.

Pull the supper late in the afternoon, set it on end next to the hive and as long as there is no brood in the supper, the bees will vacate the supper and fly back to their colony before dark.

Grab the supper after dark and put it out of reach of any critters for the night and put it on the other colony tomorrow.

Don

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 12:17:37 pm »
How many frames are they covering?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Hethen57

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 05:26:56 pm »
I did what you are talking about a few weeks ago.....just did a basic "newspaper combine" with a shallow honey super full of bees on top a deep hive body and it boosted the winter honey stores and the population of one of my single deep for going into winter.  The hive looks as strong as all of the others now.
-Mike

Offline dfizer

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 07:39:15 pm »
Thanks for the advice / information... i cannot really transport the bees since i have to travel over 20 miles to the other hive therefore i'd really like the supers to be free of bees.  I like the idea of removing the super and letting it set off the the side then once it gets dark and the bees have made it back to the hive then retrieve it and transport it then... 
Thanks for the info....
David

Offline duck

• House Bee
    • Big Thicket Bees
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 10:07:16 am »
piece of plywood on bottom, and piece on top, ratchet strap together, make the 20 minute drive, newspaper combine = done.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 10:14:47 am »
Setting it off to the side will invite robbing.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 07:50:25 pm »
That's what I would have thought.

Offline dfizer

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2012, 11:13:21 pm »
Got it done today... Thanks for the help!!!!