Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queen Introduction in new foundationless hive  (Read 1478 times)

Offline TheMasonicHive

• House Bee
Queen Introduction in new foundationless hive
« on: June 27, 2010, 12:09:38 pm »
Next year I plan doing foundationless, all medium hives.

This year I started with foundation and when I installed my packages I put the queencage in between frames as I was instructed in various books.  This started the buildup of burr comb, which I scraped off without a problem.

This would leave the bees to use the foundation as a guide, HOWEVER, I imagine that this burr comb in a newly established foundationless hive could present a major problem. 

Is there a special way to introduce a queen in a cage into a foundationless hive to prevent any burr comb and have them follow their guides?
Christopher Peace
Oakland County, MI

"It teaches us that, as we come into the world rational and intelligent beings, so we should ever be industrious ones; never sitting down contented while our fellow-creatures around us are in want, when it is in our power to relieve them without inconvenience to ourselves." - Freemasonry on the Beehive

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Queen Introduction in new foundationless hive
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 06:11:02 am »
Yes.  Forget the cage.  If you're introducing a package, direct release the queen.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
Re: Queen Introduction in new foundationless hive
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 06:49:57 am »
Yes.  Forget the cage.  If you're introducing a package, direct release the queen.

Make shore the bees are in the package 3 or 4 days before you hive them

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

anything