Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: hive smells like yeast  (Read 3616 times)

Offline Delmer

• House Bee
  • Cravin' me some boiled p-nuts
hive smells like yeast
« on: August 25, 2009, 09:44:22 pm »
I have two hives. One is doing great, the other is for all pratical purposes 'dead'.  Lost the queen a month ago and I have tried to add frames from the strong hive in hopes of them raising a new queen. (hasn't worked out).  Instead of pulling more frames and trying to jumpstart this hive, I'd like to focus my energy on the strong hive.(hopefully it will make it through the winter)

My question is- the the wax on frames in the 'bad' hive are very dark and smell like yeast.  Is this typical?  There is no brood, pollen, or honey in the cells and these were brand new sheets of foundation in April. This is all a brand new operation for me and I don't know if the wax is suppsoed to turn dark- (it was very white/yellow when they first drew it out.)

Another question-  can I just add the remaining bees to the other hive?  theres only one frame with bees on it.

Thanks

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: hive smells like yeast
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 10:15:41 pm »
you could have mold in there or fermented nectar.  i don't know if you have looked for SHB or wax moth, but you'd probably know if they were running around in there.

yes you can combine.  the easiest way is to put a sheet of newspaper over the top box of your strong hive, cut a couple of slits in it, and set your weak hive on top.  leave a top opening for the upper hive.  in a few days, they will have mixed and you can remove the upper box.  just shake or brush off any bees hanging out up there.

save the comb from your weak hive and use it next year.  even if you have mold or fermented honey in there, it will be ok.  the bees will clean it out.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Delmer

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 10:21:33 pm »
Thanks Kathy- I can not find any beetles or moths.  This hive never really got going and for the most part was always weaker than the other.(although it started off with more comb production than the other).

So just one sheet of newspaper for a few days.  How do I leave a top opening? is that as simple as propping up one side of the top cover?

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 10:56:26 pm »
put a stick in it.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Delmer

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 10:57:35 am »
one more question for the slits in the newspaper.  are they the length of the frame or smaller?  does it matter if the slits are parallel to the frames or at a 90 degree angle? 

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 11:10:00 am »
a couple of slits an inch or two long.  put them between the frames.  the idea is that the hive smells will mix and the bees will chew through the NP and join each other.  in a couple of days, even if they have not chewed through, it still will be ok to pull the NP and make one hive.

then, if you do not want that top box on, pull a lower frame and put your frame of bees in.  if there is no brood to worry about, you can shake or brush the bees into the lower box.