Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: When is it too late to re Queen  (Read 10304 times)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: When is it too late to re Queen
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2013, 10:49:39 pm »
Carol,
I have been checking the OB every day. I have seen 2 different queens now. The first in was a tiger stripe. Now I am seeing a large golden with a dark tip on the abdomen. The last 2 times she has been on capped honey frames with no royal court and she quickly hides after I remove the cover. The hive is still very full. I have no visible eggs and no hot spots in the brood like there is when there is brooding the hive. I need to remove 3 or 4 capped frames to give them space to work but I will not touch this hive until she is well established.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2013, 11:10:56 pm »
OK. I was just going by the pics. If one of the 2 in Ga. is fatbeeman, he is treatment free.If not, you may want to contact him.

http://www.dixiebeesupply.com/Dixiebeesupply/Don_Kuchenmeister,_The_Fat_Bee_Man.html
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline RC

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2013, 08:32:39 am »
Carpenter Apaires is treatment free, been so for a long time.

Offline Carol

• House Bee
    • critters and crawlers visiting or living in my back yard
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2013, 12:40:46 pm »
Sent them both emails....hope I don't need one but it's nice to know they are still available.

Iddee:   must be nice to know you have a Queen. Mated? 

Offline Carol

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2013, 01:23:59 pm »
sawdstmakr :    anything going on in the OB?   eggs? 

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2013, 11:23:12 pm »
sawdstmakr :    anything going on in the OB?   eggs?  

Yes,
For the last couple of days we have been seeing the queen laying eggs one after another. I saw one 6 day old larvae 2 days ago. Probably the first egg that she laid. Now I can see royal jelly and 3-5 day old larvae all over the deep frames. It is very hard to see the eggs. I have looked at cells right after the queen leaves a cell and cannot see them even with a bright flashlight. The bees have moved all of the honey off of the brood frames except for around the top corners. There is 2 to 3" of pollen across the top and just below the honey in the corners on both deep frames.
Jim
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 11:38:35 pm by sawdstmakr »
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2013, 11:49:10 pm »
Here are a few pictures.they were all taken in the vertices position and show up that way in the photo gallery. I do not know how to turn them. If some one knows how to do it please let me know.

Ben Franklin

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2013, 07:08:50 am »
Here are a few pictures.they were all taken in the vertices position and show up that way in the photo gallery. I do not know how to turn them. If some one knows how to do it please let me know

I usually rotate them with the camera software or microsoft photo editor before saving and posting.
John 3:16

Offline Carol

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2013, 12:22:42 pm »
Sooooo jealous....would love to have that by my chair.

You still havn't taken any more honey have you?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2013, 09:38:49 pm »
Sooooo jealous....would love to have that by my chair.

You still haven't taken any more honey have you?

Carol,
Thanks. No I have not. The queen has not had a chance to prove she is a good queen yet. If I do open it up right now the bees may take it out on the Q. When it is full of brood and brood pheromone, I think it will be safe to open it up and remove the honey. I plan on pulling it this Friday. We and pulling honey from the rest of the hives on Saturday.
4 years ago I told my wife that I would like to have a observation hive. She bought me bee books for my birthday and I was hooked. The first thing I learned (from reading) was you needed full hives to keep an ob hive. I have only had to add one queen after the first one swarmed and none of queen cells survived.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 09:58:46 pm by sawdstmakr »
Ben Franklin

Offline Carol

• House Bee
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2013, 09:50:00 pm »
Maybe a few pictures then?  You can rotate them on the computer before posting. If you use Windows Photo Gallery there is a "fix" button and curved arrows so you can rotate them either direction.