Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from central Texas! Need advice please.  (Read 1738 times)

Offline Swag

• New Bee
Hello from central Texas! Need advice please.
« on: June 18, 2011, 02:34:09 pm »
Hello to the hive!
  Just signed up to the forum and wanted to say hello. I got started with beekeeping a year now. Looking forward to learning from the group
  I just got back from opening my two hives. First hive has been established a year and is doing well. I had no problem working it, removed the honey super and got into the lower, all looks normal to my novice eye. Second hive is about two months old (a captured swarm). I haven't worked this hive much since I moved the swarm into the hive. I added a honey super about a month ago (same time I added to the other hive) and since my area is in severe drought I have been feeding them both. So, I've been refilling the feeders ever week or two.
 Well, I got into the second hive (did not use smoke), looked around in the honey super, their building comb. Good! Removed the honey super and started pulling a frame from the lower. I was suited up but had forgot my hat and the head net was close to my face and I got hit. I didn't panic, I've been stung my fair share. Anyway, the hive seemed to explode, all of a sudden I was covered up and they were mad. Stinging my suit and gloves, then I got hit on the back of the head and decided to move away and let them calm down. Well, they followed me for 75 yards and still stinging my suit, etc. So, I walked about two hundred yards away and they left me alone. Gave them about 10 minutes and I went back to close that hive up. So, they got after me again. I closed the hive and left.
 When I captured this swarm nor anytime since till now has this hive showed this kind of aggression. Does the forum think that maybe this was a fluke or ???
 Thanks in advance

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Hello from central Texas! Need advice please.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 03:05:33 pm »
i'll give you a couple of ideas that come to mind.  1st, you should have used smoke....but you already know that  :-D  2nd, when you get stung that first time, it makes you a target  (smoke would have helped here also).  still, that's a pretty aggressive reaction.

since you are feeding, you can rule out hunger as a cause.  a couple of other things...  might other predators have been bothering the hive?  might there have been robbing from another hive or other critters?  have you verified that there is a queen in the hive? 

wondering why you have honey supers on when you are feeding?  just curious as to where you are going with that.  also, when you pulled the frame from the lower, did you start at the outside where there should be fewer bees, and then make room to slide other frames over, giving less chance to roll bees as you remove frames?  if you try to pull a frame that is loaded with bees you are bound to mash a few.  that will tick them off pretty fast.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Swag

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 03:20:33 pm »
Kathy;
Thanks for the reply.
1) smoke, yes I agree will do that next time.
2) yes, it all went down hill when I got stung.

The swarm I captured was a big one, by my limited experience. A local beekeeper said to go ahead and add the super so they would have room.
Was this a mistake? They are already building up top.

I'm feeding because when I say severe drought, I mean SEVERE drought. I thought it best. So, should I back off from the feeding?

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 04:47:07 pm »
adding room if they need it is good.  feeding if there is no feed and the hive has not stores is good.

you need to give that hive a break for a few days, then lite your smoker and see what's going on in there.  find out if they have a queen.  see if there are any SHB or wax moths if they have to much room.  see if they are storing food....
did you ever verify that you got the queen with that swarm, or that she was in there later?

i only asked about the honey super because if you were thinking about getting honey, you don't want to feed when the honey super is on.  if you just added it for room, that's fine...you might want to consider watching for a sale and getting some extra boxes of whatever size you want as hive bodies.  save those honey supers for honey later on. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Swag

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 06:26:21 pm »
Hi Kathy;
Sorry I didn't answer your question about the queen. Yes, the queen was in the swarm. The last frame I pulled before the hive went mad, I saw brood. The hive has now been in this location for two months. I had already gone through the upper and saw no evidence of moths. I saw honey on two frames in the upper.
Thinking back on this morning, I did remove an outer frame first, but could have mashed some on that frame or the one next to it.

I don't think I have a predator issue. The hive bases are two feet off the ground and I've looked for sign of scratching on the base by skunks, etc. Racoons would be the next suspect, no bears in this area. I have a few black angus cows but think they've already met the bees and give them a wide berth now.  :-D

Our daily temps have been above 100 every day for over a week now. Yesterday was 107. I work Monday thru Friday, wife and I live in small town but the hives are at our property, six miles away. After work its too much for me try to work suited up in 100 + weather. I was dripping wet working them this morning (95 at 11am) before it was said and done. So, I won't get another opportunity to get into the hive till next Saturday. I will use smoke this time. Thanks for the great advice. I appreciate it.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 10:12:55 pm »
Keep in mind that you are also in AHB territory. You may need to requeen.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907