Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from NE Ohio  (Read 2628 times)

Offline heus

• New Bee
Hello from NE Ohio
« on: June 08, 2012, 10:24:51 am »
I am a first year beekeeper in northeast Ohio, Ashtabula County. I have a small maple syrup operation and will have 500 or so taps this next season. I have been interested in keeping bees for many years now. I purchased one established two deep hive from an oldtimer who is selling out. I made a successful split in late April and need to split again soon. I have Carniolans. There is also a feral hive on my property (28 acres) that has been there for a couple of years. Still not sure what I will do for mite treatments in the fall, or what type of wintering method I will use.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: Hello from NE Ohio
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 10:35:18 am »
Welcome to the forum,Heus.  You can find lots of threads here that may help you decide which way you want to go on that.  Being a new beek you may want to check if there is a local bee club.  Good luck with your bees.

Joe

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 12:50:38 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 09:36:17 am »
Welcome to the site!

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 03:53:38 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster.

Offline Diogenes

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 01:25:48 pm »
Ah good. Someone in the neighborhood. (within 20 miles anyway)

:cool:
"Inflation is the one form of taxation that can be imposed without legislation." - Milton Friedman

Offline heus

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 03:54:46 pm »
Diogenes,
Do you have a flow still going on? Some of my goldenrod is ready to bloom within the next couple of weeks which is amazing to me.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 06:59:39 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster. Why are you going to treat your hives? Is there a problem?
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline heus

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 07:10:57 pm »
Just going to do the powder sugar shake. If I get a significant mite drop I may treat with Hopguard. Not sure.

Offline Diogenes

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 07:57:13 pm »
Dry, dry, dry.

They're getting something. Not close, and not much though. Hives seem empty mid-day. There's always some robbers sniffing all the cracks right now.

Teasel is blooming and bumble-bees are all over it. Bees (and bumble-bees) are working the catnip all day long (lots around here). Thistle is blooming, but is short and scraggly (technical term) this year and I haven't looked closely in the AM to see if they are working the thistle. Huban clover runs-out in morning, and there isn't much vetch close by.

Always lots of girls on the gravel beach at the local watering hole lately. It is summer-time!

8-)

(have hop-guard and going to use it)
"Inflation is the one form of taxation that can be imposed without legislation." - Milton Friedman