Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Feeding Pollen Substitutes in Winter: What's the best way?  (Read 1560 times)

Offline Stone

• House Bee
Feeding Pollen Substitutes in Winter: What's the best way?
« on: November 05, 2011, 03:14:15 pm »
What is the best way to feed pollen substitutes in winter - by pouring the powder on the inner cover?  Dadant has a "Winter Patty" and I'm wondering how this can be fed to the colony without freezing the patty - short of tilting open the box above the cluster and placing it on top. And if the propolis seal is broken, I'm thinking the bees have difficulty sealing it again in the middle of winter.  Like to hear your thoughts.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Feeding Pollen Substitutes in Winter: What's the best way?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 06:49:53 pm »
I see no reason to feed pollen substitute in the winter.  If it works I just get a lot of brood earlier than I should and they either cold starve because they won't leave it or they boom so much that they swarm in April... a lose / lose.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Stone

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 07:36:59 pm »
Michael,

Good food for thought.  Thanks.

Makes me wonder why Dadant is marketing this.

Offline backyard warrior

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 07:49:18 pm »
I see no reason to feed pollen substitute in the winter.  If it works I just get a lot of brood earlier than I should and they either cold starve because they won't leave it or they boom so much that they swarm in April... a lose / lose.

Mike do you feed your bees any pollen substitute in early spring to build up the population ???  Chris

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 08:34:37 pm »
Michael,

Good food for thought.  Thanks.

Makes me wonder why Dadant is marketing this.

the winter patty is something new it is for emergency feeding--it is basically a carbohydrate patty-it only contains 3% protein--(not going to raise much brood with  3%-for brood rearing we use 12-16 percent protein for a minimum)
 these patties have added honey bee healthy for a stimulant and are basically sugar patty-dont confuse these with a
 protein patty--the winter patty is designed to be feed with a feed rim under the incover-this is much like the mountain camp method of emergency feeding --RDY-B

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 09:33:23 am »
>Mike do you feed your bees any pollen substitute in early spring to build up the population

I don't feed substitute unless I'm short of pollen and then I mix it 50/50 with real pollen. But most springs I don't feed anything.  Some springs, if the pollen is late, I might feed real pollen open and dry in an empty hive.  But usually I don't feed pollen or syrup in the spring.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin