Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What the heck is going on???  (Read 7256 times)

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
What the heck is going on???
« on: September 07, 2013, 03:23:34 pm »
In the last week, I've gotten seven calls for swarms!   And this is in the Catskill Mountains in upstate New York. We've already had a couple of frosts.  Is anyone experiencing something similar in your area?  And can someone offer an explanation for this late swarming behavior? Thanks.
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Offline rober

• Field Bee
Re: What the heck is going on???
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 03:56:38 pm »
i had a swarm call 2 weeks ago. 5 of 6 of my last removal calls turned out to be yellow jackets. i've started asking people to e-mail me photos before i travel very far.

Offline rwlaw

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 04:03:45 pm »
Just got a call from a guy, said they were swarming in his tree. Went over there, looked like a whole hive was foraging in a flowering tree lol,
If they are indeed swarms, it goes against all logic that's for sure. The parent hive is going to be screwed cause that new queen is going to have a hard time getting mated & laying before winter sets in. Used to drive truck thru the Catskills, snow sets in early up there.
Can't ever say that bk'n ain't a learning experience!

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 04:25:59 pm »
Just got a call from a guy, said they were swarming in his tree. Went over there, looked like a whole hive was foraging in a flowering tree lol,
If they are indeed swarms, it goes against all logic that's for sure. The parent hive is going to be screwed cause that new queen is going to have a hard time getting mated & laying before winter sets in. Used to drive truck thru the Catskills, snow sets in early up there.

All swarms.  I caught four. I learned to ask for those email photos too. 
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 10:36:36 pm »
hive beetle victims

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 12:22:52 am »
wouldn't think it's hive beetles up there.  i know someone in oregon that has still been getting swarm calls.  he's lower than i, but still they should have been done at least a month ago.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 12:56:08 am »
they found them in ontario in 2010.  is there a northern limit to their range?  

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 05:58:35 am »
Looks like your lows are already getting down in the 40's. Weather all over the place. Were they in close proximity of each other?  Maybe something bad happened in someone's yard and forced them to relocate. Looks kinda late for swarms in your location.
Later,
Ray

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 08:56:45 am »
Are they all queen right?Perhaps a late goldenrod/aster flow was abundant enough to get a colony built to swarm strength.If that goal had not been met all summer,the resources may have finally been met.
Are there drones present?
They may be absconds for what ever reason, but fall swarms are not unheard of if resources are available.

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 09:32:46 am »
Are they all queen right?Perhaps a late goldenrod/aster flow was abundant enough to get a colony built to swarm strength.If that goal had not been met all summer,the resources may have finally been met.
Are there drones present?
They may be absconds for what ever reason, but fall swarms are not unheard of if resources are available.

Loosetrife is just finishing and goldenrod is bangin!  Bees are bringing in lots of pollen.  Abundant resources may just be the answer. 

Don't know if they are queen right yet.  Will be checking today or tomorrow.  But they seem to be behaving as they are queen right.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 09:36:39 am »
good luck :-)

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 09:40:26 am »

Thanks!  Aster is starting to come up too.  Strong aroma of honey coming from the bee yard.  I'll need that luck.  I lost all sixteen of my colonies over last winter.  Built back up to twelve through swarms and cut outs.  Most looking pretty strong.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 10:14:14 am »
Give them only the room they need to expand the colony and build stores. Add frames/boxes if necessary,but a lot of empty space when nights are getting cool will make them slower to get built up.

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2013, 10:32:44 am »
Give them only the room they need to expand the colony and build stores. Add frames/boxes if necessary,but a lot of empty space when nights are getting cool will make them slower to get built up.

Good advice.  Thanks.

Offline TenshiB

• House Bee
  • Your happiness is up to you.
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2013, 11:17:19 am »

Thanks!  Aster is starting to come up too.  Strong aroma of honey coming from the bee yard.  I'll need that luck.  I lost all sixteen of my colonies over last winter.  Built back up to twelve through swarms and cut outs.  Most looking pretty strong.

Hate to hear that you lost so much from last year but very proud to hear that you didn't give up! Hope your colonies from this year will survive and thrive come next spring! Keep us posted! [=
The bees that do no work do not survive long. The people that do no work get rewarded.

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2013, 12:13:19 pm »

Hate to hear that you lost so much from last year but very proud to hear that you didn't give up! Hope your colonies from this year will survive and thrive come next spring! Keep us posted! [=

Thanks for your kind words of encouragement.

Offline Oblio13

• House Bee
    • Philosophizing with a Hammer
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2013, 12:16:25 pm »
i had a swarm call 2 weeks ago. 5 of 6 of my last removal calls turned out to be yellow jackets. i've started asking people to e-mail me photos before i travel very far.

I got a call last weekend. Lady was positive they were honeybees. I asked her to send a pic. She said they were too high up to take one. I made the drive. Yellowjackets.

Offline TenshiB

• House Bee
  • Your happiness is up to you.
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2013, 11:31:00 pm »
Oddly enough I work in pest control.
I've had to exterminate many a yellowjacket nests! This year there seems to be a whole lot more.. I don't like to do it but I will kill them when they're near areas of high foot traffic. If they're honeybees I refuse to kill them and my company will let me go back on my off hours to remove them.. IF the removal (cut-out) is too difficult or the home owner doesn't want any deconstruction done on their home then they will have to find another business to get rid of their honeybees because our company has finally taken a stand on not killing the honeybees. [=

I found out the hard way over a month ago that bald faced hornets can sting through coveralls! Haven't ran that hard in a LONG time.  :roll:
The bees that do no work do not survive long. The people that do no work get rewarded.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2013, 11:39:10 pm »
TenshiB. Wher Are you located in GA. . I'm in middle Ga. (Gray, Jones Co.) So I can send calls  that I get in your area to you . I try not to travel more that 1 county away from me. ( cost does not cover the Fee nowadays)

John

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2013, 08:36:31 am »
Here the yellow jackets are much more aggressive than usual this year.  Several of us at the RC flying field have had stings for no apparent reason, myself I note them bumping into me.  Cannot find a nest though.  I also notice this year they are hanging out NEAR, but not on the hives, mostly on the ground in front working on any dead  stuff dropped out in front.
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

anything