Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Inspected foundationless hive today (video). Need input  (Read 10509 times)

Offline Billybee

• House Bee
    • My myspace page for beekeeping
Inspected foundationless hive today (video). Need input
« on: June 22, 2012, 08:58:07 pm »
I tried to keep the length of the vid down but, I wanted to show folks how I handled things or mishandled things.

I am still feeding them and there is a lot of clear "Honey" Should I stop?
This hive is 1 month old and came as packaged bees. I put bees in with 2 frames having a small amount of foundation. About 2 weeks ago I opened up the box and saw that they had all frames drawn out almost all completely. So I felt things were tight and took 2 of those frames with about half drawn comb and put a second body on top. I replaced the 2 frames with empty ones in the bottom box. I opened things today and the video is what I saw.

Bees 1 month inspect

So 1  of my questions is:
I started out with foundation in Florida when I was beekeeping there. I went foundationless. With both the comb always seems too wide for the space in the hive body with 10 frames. Does anybody use 9 frame spacers in their hives? I never get to just pick frames out no matter what the situation. Always damage to comb.

Thanks...
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 09:23:26 pm by Billybee »
Can somebody tell me where I can find a foundation tree?

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
Re: Inspected foundationless hive today (video). Need input
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 11:30:54 pm »
When you have good straight combs full of brood, a frame placed between them will get drawn out between them usually very straight.  Just do that every inspection and clean out those ones that are sideways and all bridgecomb.  Any mess you don't straighten out just gets worse and will eventually make the box into an unworkable mass.  That is my advise.  If you see it is wrong, fix it. 

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 01:02:40 am »

I would agree with Vance, if you see somtheing thats not right fix it or the mess will get worse.  I do have some 10 frame boxs with 9 frames, some with the 9 frame spacers.   With foundationless frames you do have to keep a check regulary while they are building the comb, that it is straight and etc.  After you get some frames built straight you can put emptys between them.  Good luck with your bees.

Joe

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 07:31:26 pm »
Only run 9 frame spacers in your honey supers and only after the frames are drawn out.  Without drawn frames you would have too much bee space and end up with crap for frames.   I run 9 frame honey supers because it makes extracting go easier.   More honey, less frames, easier to uncap.   

And using a little foundation fixes a lot of bad comb in frames.    :-D

Offline Nature Coast Beek

• House Bee
  • Suck it up, buttercup!
    • Both Feet In
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 12:10:09 pm »
Right now I'm doing the same thing, going foundation-less from the start and as others have pointed out, space is usually the main culprit. Providing good guides along the interior top bars is also very important. When closing hive back, TIGHT, TIGHT, TIGHT frames are what I'm finding key. I watched the video and it looked like when you crack the hive you had some space between the suspect frames. The frames need to be put back tight, you're frame grip is preventing this from happening post manipulation. You should tighten the frames further, making them snug with your hive tool. There should be no little space AT ALL between the frame sidebars. If they have been propolized, take your hive tool and slide it along the sidebars. Always have an empty container along with you to scrape burr comb, cross comb and propolis into. I'm inspecting every 5 - 7 days and have minimized most of the "shinanigans" before they get going. Right now my hive is drawing about a frame to a frame and a half per inspection. We're between flows (mild dearth) and I' open feeding about 2 quarts 1:1 per inspection period. Actually starting to taper that back because the palm flow is starting to pick up. Also, try not to have two blanks side by side. That brood pattern looks good, if you have some room, an empty on the between two drawn frames on the edge of the brood nest might be a good idea. I've done it with some success, eggs immediately deposited in any available cells. Like the others have stated, always try to have drawn comb or at least foundation frames alongside the empty frames. One easy thing you could do is with the end frames on that hive is to exchange them. Take the outside drawn frame and swap it over the other outside position. Again, this is what I've been doing with some great results and minimal cross combing action. Good luck and keep it TIGHT.

Offline Larry Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 03:15:34 pm »
I was thinking about trying a foundationless hive, but after watching two minutes of your film, I changed my mind. Using foundation is just so much easier.

Also, I think you're doing things backward. You lived in Florida, then moved to NJ ? Most people do it the other way around!  :lau:

Good luck with your foundationless hive! I hope it goes well for you!

Larry

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 04:10:09 pm »
I cut my frames down to 1 1/4" and put 11 in a 10 frame box.  The further apart the more uneven the comb...

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesframewidth.htm
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfaqs.htm#framespacing
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Nature Coast Beek

• House Bee
  • Suck it up, buttercup!
    • Both Feet In
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 04:34:03 pm »
Larry, +1 on the Jersey crack!

Offline rbinhood

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 05:40:23 pm »
 :lau: Just one question.....where did you get those knee pads,  and what purpose do they serve.  The knees are where I invite the girls to kiss me as many times as they like it helps keep the joints limber!  :piano:
Only God can make these two things.....Blood and Honey!

Offline Javin

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 11:56:57 pm »
LMAO!  Where do you guys get these emoticons?  I love :piano:

I'll say, I started with foundation until I had good drawn comb to use as guides, then I used that to get good foundationless, then I used THAT to get more good foundationless and eventually scrapped the foundation.  It just seems easier to start with a little foundation until the girls get things rolling right.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 10:52:52 pm »
Javin
At the top of the text box when writing a reply,there is a row of emoticons as well as the word "more" which will show other available emoticons. :brian:

anything