Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Nebraska Exterminators by law, not allowed to kill honeybees  (Read 3549 times)

bigbearomaha

Nebraska Exterminators by law, not allowed to kill honeybees
« on: October 03, 2009, 10:35:55 pm »
 I was just made aware today, by my brother, who is an exterminator of 4 plus years, that Nebraska law does not allow exterminators in this state to kill honeybees. They are required to locate a beekeeper to 'rescue' them.

If you are a bee keeper in Nebraska and want to catch swarms, do cutouts, rescues, etc... it might behoove you to make a friend in the extermination business.

Reading up to learn more to verify this or get more info.

Not that  I don't trust him, but it's good to have a legal source to back it up.

Big Bear

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Nebraska Exterminators by law, not allowed to kill honeybees
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 10:53:19 pm »
I don't think that's true, but I think a lot of exterminators know that killing the bees in the walls of a house is a bad move.  It results in lots of honey left behind that draws ants, etc. and on hot days melts and ruins the wall.  So most wise ones don't want to mess with it and would prefer a beekeeper come and do a cut out.  I think some of they SAY it's illegal as it gets them off the hook and avoids a "sticky" situation.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

bigbearomaha

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 11:00:34 pm »
 I think you are right.  I have just done a search of Nebraska state statutes online for any mention of beekeeping, apis, honeybee, etc... and there is nothing to state that extermination of honey bees is not allowed.

I am thinking now maybe his company has a policy for their employees on that subject, perhaps a misunderstanding on his part or their communication as to there being a state law on the matter.

Big Bear

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 09:22:12 am »
I believe this subjet of exterminators not killing bees has been mentioned about almost every State, on the Inter-Net Bee Forum boards many times, in the past few years.

I think one did pass a law, but soon repealed it.

It appears to me that it was a rumor started by the save the bee groups ??

Remember, take information on Inter-net forums with a grain or two of salt !!

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 10:25:43 am »
It is a good idea to call a few exterminators anyway regardless of the laws.  They're the first that many people call, because they need some "bug" killed. 
Most exterminators are real people interested in the best outcome, not cold ruthless killers heartlessly spraying toxic poisons all over trying to kill as many things as possible.

Pest control sounds soooo much better than exterminator.  :roll:
Rick

anything