Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees and the glory of the full moon  (Read 4855 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Bees and the glory of the full moon
« on: April 03, 2007, 10:38:51 am »
I wonder if the bees are sensitive to the benefits of the weather and the full moon.  I know they are sensitive to barometric pressure.

We had snow yesterday morning, to the tune of 2 inches, it was gone by 11:00 A.M., the sun came out, the temperature rose and the bees were out having the time of their life.  Bringing in lots of bright yellow pollen, I am sure gathered from a beautiful spring shrub, the Forsythia, beautiful, little flowers, everywhere around my community.

The moon was full last night, setting in the southwestern horizon, quite different from last month, where it set in the northwern horizon.  I love the full moon.  I have been watching the moon for decades and I know that when it is full moon time, about 95% of the time the skies are clear.  The moon's visual presence is the most beautiful sight in my eyes.   I know for surely that the days will be cloudless and rainless.  I revel in the thought of the full mooon that I know comes every month.

My one hive that remains is strong and growing rapidly.  I peeked in yesterday to give them a frame of honey, the inside of the hive is very warm, the terrarium heater worked to help this poor little colony come through the winter.  If I had not heeded the advice of Finsky, this colony surely would have met death's door.  In my quick inspection I saw about 5 frames of bees and only took a moment, but did see capped brood, they will not be chilled, this heater is doing its wonders. 

My 4 nucs will be ready to pick up on  May 5th.  The weather will be very warm and they will be happy and do well.  I am excited, this will be a year of success with health of my bees.  I have gained wonderful knowledge through so much advice from forum members.  I have compiled all the information in my mind and will draw on this knowledge all through the beekeeping seasons, into winter we will go, strong, healthy and will boxes full of bees.  Have a beautiful and grand day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
Re: Bees and the glory of the full moon
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 10:58:14 am »
I was wondering the same exact thing last evening as the full moon is almost upon us. I know some animals react to a full moon. I fish alot and many fish will spawn after a full moon. Crabs and other saltwater crustaceans begin their shed on the full moon, 14 days afterwards they complete the shed. AHHHH the wonders of nature!
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 08:06:17 am »
Certainly many animals take advantage of the light and change their haibts during a full moon.  I have not noticed any difference with the bees.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 02:42:04 pm »
Yeah Cindi, we're neighbors just south of you and the moon was something else up here in the northwest!!!  Looked almost like daylight out there.  Havent seen the moon so bright in a long time.  Might just be that in the Seattle area, there's almost always cloud cover.  But we saw a TON of wildlife on our drive home from a friends.  Could be that it was lighter than usual, but was still pretty cool anyway.
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 01:19:58 am »
Sean, almost every month that there is the full moon, I see it, for about 3 days every month it appears very full, and then, that passes by the wayside.  It is interesting.  On my google homepage I have the moon phases as one of my settings and it is very interesting what the names of the moon phases are.  Waxing Gibbous, Waning Gibbous, right now tonight it is the Waning Gibbous, 95% of full.  Last night it was 98% of full, Waning Gibbous, I have a hard time trying to keep these terminologies straight, but I am watching it every day, I will know the names of all phases proficiently, one day.

It has been very bright the past two nights, I love that eerie dim light the moon brings, something that makes you take a fresh breath of the night air and listen.....to the sounds of the night.  Beautiful day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Eve Sylvia

• New Bee
    • Eve Vaterlaus
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 11:45:37 am »
Thanks for the lovely thoughts about bees and moon. I always thought they were so solar, (they are) but the moon certainly affects us all, why not? In what way? silver light compared to gold. I don't know. But there could be a poem in there somewhere.