Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Sugar syurp question  (Read 9440 times)

Offline likes2grill

• Dan
  • House Bee
    • D's Bees
Sugar syurp question
« on: March 26, 2007, 10:24:42 pm »
How do you make your sugar syrup? I put the water and the sugar in a pot and heat it till the sugar melts and the water turns clear then let it stand over night to cool. Is this the method most people use?

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Sugar syurp question
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 11:08:37 pm »
Since you don't want to scorch the sugar, I boil the water, add the sugar, stir until it's clear and turn off the heat.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 10:53:00 am »
you can feed them warm syrup, especially in spring, they'll be very thankfull, but WARM not hot, so it feels good to you to.
making 1:1 syrups, hot water is optional, it takes a whole day if you make it with cold water, that suits me, at least for winter feeding. find what suits you best, just make sure, like michael already pointed out to not burn the sugar

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 09:24:45 pm »
Mici is right.  They will take warm syrup on a cold day very quickly but not cold syrup on a cold day.  If you can put your finger in it without getting burned it's not too hot.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 10:11:19 pm »
How much water to go with 1 lb/.45kg of sugar?

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline likes2grill

• Dan
  • House Bee
    • D's Bees
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 10:23:42 pm »
hhhhmmmm......... 16oz? LOL  :lol:

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 10:37:09 pm »
Yes, but if they put a 5lb/2.26kg bag of sugar in a gallon container Does the sugar displace 80 oz/2.36 L? (1 gallon = 128oz = 3.78L)
I always did 1 lb/.45kg to 1qt/.946L but I was wondering if I was doing it right.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 10:53:09 pm »
I was told to do it volume wise 1cup to 1 cup or 2 sugar to 1 water. A little over 2 to 1 was about all the more sugar I could get to remain in solution.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 11:15:34 pm »
You put a wuffle of sugar to a wuffle of water.  It really doesn't matter what a wuffle is.
;)
-------------------

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 11:43:11 pm »
Very well put Michael :-D
Now hand me a wuffle,I'm gonna mix some syrup

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 11:07:11 am »
i told..aargh i must not didn't i tell you    i have to bestrong what did i say i can't help myself i was right the force is just to overwhelming

metric pwns :fishhit:

1 kilo of sugar does not displace 1 liter of water, however 1 liter of water weighs almost exactly 1 kilo.
1 waffle of this +1 waffle of that isn't that exact but...the bees won't mind if there's a little too much sugar

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2007, 12:03:16 pm »
As I posted previously, we were told by our beekeeping club to take a one gallon container, pour in five pounds of sugar, and then fill the gallon with as much hot water as it would hold.  Put the cap on and shake, shake, shake.  That's the easiest way I've found, and I'm sticking with it!  :-D

Offline MarkR

• House Bee
    • My Photo Album
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2007, 12:07:21 pm »
Here's the way I was taught:

Take a gallon jug and fill it about 1/3 full of hot tap water.

Put in  a 5 lbs bag o  sugar

Shake for everything your worth.

Top of the the jug with more hot tap water.

Shake a bunch more.

Offline MarkR

• House Bee
    • My Photo Album
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2007, 12:09:36 pm »
Yeah, what reinbeau said! :mrgreen:

Offline ZuniBee

• House Bee
    • ZuniBeeFarms.com
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2007, 02:02:25 pm »
So if I got this right, it's 1:1 sugar and water in the spring. Right? When do you feed 2:1? or do you ever feed 2:1?

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2007, 02:31:08 pm »
1:1 is to simulate a nectar flow, this way you get the queen in a more laying mood, the bees are in general more active-to stimulate them
2:1 or thicker is supposed to be for winter feeding
i don't know why it is so.
i fed them in the fall with 1:1, they seem OK? plus, if you make thicker syrup they might not wanna eat it. i think that feeding more than 1:1 is a thing of bigger keepers, the ones that don't wanna waste another week feeding the bees if they can feed them a thicker syrup
note: i think so

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2007, 03:09:52 pm »
2:1 is for fall. It has less water so the bees can store it for winter. Spring(1:1) induces wax production and the excess water removed to process the syrup is more easily dissipated in the spring, and early summer w/o harming the bees. Feed thin syrup too early and you'll get excess moistrure in hive and if its not ventilated properly you will have problems.
As for recipes, the above are right. I boil water and remove from heat, then add sugar to avoid burning. Hot tap water is probably sufficient though.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline cbarton

• New Bee
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2007, 06:41:57 pm »
The New Zealand Beekeeping Association maintains a website with a calculator to help determine the water to sugar mix. 
For some reason beemaster won't let me leave the entire url, but if you place the standard http etc in front of the following info you should get to the calculator page

http://beekeeping.co.nz/convert.htm#sugarmix1

good luck
cb
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 06:45:29 pm by buzzbee »
Craig B

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2007, 07:58:28 pm »
Anything from 1:2 to 2:1 works fine.  As mentioned, it saves the bees a lot of work in the fall to not have to dry out the more watered down syrup.  People believe that 1:1 will stimulate brood rearing more than 2:1.  I have not observed that.  2:1 keeps better, and weighs less for the amount of sugar when I haul it to the beeyard.
-------------------

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2007, 10:52:11 am »
How in the heck can all you guys shake your sugar syrup mixture.  that can be rather heavy.  I just stir and stir and stir, it mixes up so easily and I don't have to life a thing.

Appropriate amount of boiling water into a pail, add the sugar slowly while stirring and then continue stirring for a couple of minutes.  Done.  Best of the day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything