Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Intro from The Bee Sarmer  (Read 1983 times)

Offline thebeesarmer

• Brood
Intro from The Bee Sarmer
« on: January 11, 2010, 12:14:44 am »
Grandpa had a hive and I helped once in a while when I was young.  My wife and I always talked about getting some bees when we got our farm.

I now have 7 acres outside of Seward, Nebraska which is about 25 miles west of Lincoln.  This land has been in my family for 115 years now.  I'm proud to live here.

I saw a Beekeeping for Beginners class offered via our local community college and I signed up.

It seems that the course is focusing on honey production which is not necessarily my goal.  I continued to research and found top bar hives, Kenyan in particular.  That seems to be more in line with my goals.  Sustainability is our goal.  Our rather large garden will love having the bees around.

I plan to get them established this spring.  Wish me luck!!!

I have 2 boys, 15 yo and 12 yo, 3 dogs (Golden Doodle, Border Collie and Corgi), 11 hens, 3 ducks and a wonderful wife of 15 years.

I'm a web developer, bowling and baseball coach, small tractor fan and pretty good in the kitchen.

Thanks for having me!!!
The Bee Sarmer

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
Re: Intro from The Bee Sarmer
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 01:19:10 pm »
Welcome and good luck.  Sounds like you have a nice place. 

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 08:39:33 pm »
great hobby for your kids.  they might even be able to hook up with 4H or FFA. 

the bees are fun and no matter why you keep them, you will become addicted to it.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline nucsnchooks

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 12:18:36 am »
Hello, I'm new too.  I like the story of your name.
I'm a newbeek. :)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 12:10:58 am »
The Bee Sarmer.  Welcome to our forum, great you found us.  See what your Grandfather did?  It is wonderful, he had instilled an interest in the keeping of bees within the soul of his Grandson, you are following in his footsteps, and that is just a most great thing.  Your gardens will enjoy to have the bees, that will tenderly pollinate these plants, to bring that food to your table.  Sustainability, that is wonderful, yes, one day you will have the golden sunshine, pure liquid gold, designed straight from the very bees that make your foods and flowers grow so well.  Stick around, we love new members.  Soon you will really see how deeply you will be held under the spell of those honeybees.  Have that most wonderfully awesome day, life and health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything