Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: A Really Cool Tree Hive, Pics  (Read 5962 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
A Really Cool Tree Hive, Pics
« on: March 14, 2008, 10:25:36 pm »
Got a call from a friend who works for Terminex in regards to a swarm some ladies had noticed for a couple of days now. The property where the hive is located is owned by some mental hospital type dealy, so I will need to go through someone who has decision making power to ok the removal. Thing is the people across the street from this park type setting (loony bin) are the ones that made the call, so I don't know if the people at the insane asylum even want to deal with it at all, we'll see. I did talk with someone in admissions (I guess they are the ones that decide if you're crazy enough to be in the place) but they didn't have any pull and directed me to some recording of the powers that be that had left for the day. A guy in maintenance said it was ok to go look though. It was funny, the gals across the street called it a swarm, now we are looking at this thing from like 200 yards away and it stood out like a sore thumb, swarm my buttocks! If what I was looking at was a swarm, I knew it was gonna be huge. Well, you'll see its no swarm. Anyway, maybe the powers that be will be giving me a call. We'll see.
http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus/March142008

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
Re: A Really Cool Tree Hive, Pics
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 10:44:20 pm »
Wow, that is cool!  It amazes me that they'll build like that out in the open, but I guess they just crawl inside if it's nasty out, it doesn't get all that cold there in the winter, does it?  I doubt anything like that would make it past the first nor'easter up here!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 10:51:11 pm »
Ann, I don't see too many out in the open like that, perhaps one or two a yr. We get cold sometimes but for very brief periods. This winter don't think it got down past 34f. That's a cool hive, huh? Reminds me of the one Brendhan just did, not as big though, not nearly. The hive is about 11' up.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 10:57:15 pm »
That was amazing!! I could not believe that was real. I have not been around very long but that was still the strangest hive I have seen pics of to date. Is it just me or did that hive remind anyone else of anatomy class... Had to ask.. I know, I know I will go sit in the corner and think about what I said.
Thanks for the pics JP, I hope you get a chance to nab that one.
Frantz
Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 11:00:05 pm »
That is a nice hive. You can do the same thing I did just on a smaller basis.
Instead of boom hoist. Just toss a rope over a higher branch.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline talkingamoeba

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 11:06:06 pm »
Too cool JP. Just wondering, are Africanized more likely to build in the open?

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 11:29:59 pm »

Not sure, but I think they are more prone to build in the open. I have seen pics of open ahb hives and I have read of open ahb hives.

...JP

Offline Hayesbo

• House Bee
  • My son. Almost 6 and loves helping me w/the bees
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 11:31:03 pm »
That is incredible.

Must not be any kids around because I can see where an exposed hive like that would be a magnet for slingshot rocks and thrown sticks.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 12:46:25 am »
JP, humdinger!!!  Those are some cool looking pictures, couldn't imagine that bees would build a structure in the open like that. They must be pretty sure of themselves, hee, hee.  Anyways, nice, I can't wait to hear what happens, how lovely.  Have a beautiful and awesomely great day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 04:07:11 am »

Not sure, but I think they are more prone to build in the open. I have seen pics of open ahb hives and I have read of open ahb hives.

...JP

I can say the same thing for EHB hives.  They perfer a closed in home but will and have built in the open.  I do not consider that any kind of legitament test for AHB than I do FABIS.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2008, 07:21:57 am »
I've seen open hives long before AHB came to town. Back around 1964 I was amazed at the size of the honey comb some bees had made under the eaves of a friends house.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2008, 04:27:36 pm »
I thought the AHB was more prone to living in holes in the ground rather than out in the open like that.  They settle into storm drains, manhole covers, well heads, etc.  Eh, what do I know about them, hopefully they'll never develop the ability to live up here in the frozen north!  :-P

Offline DennisB

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2008, 11:02:50 am »
Well, it is almost a week later. Did they call you and let you take it away? What a great looking hive!!!

DennisB

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2008, 11:06:42 am »
Well, it is almost a week later. Did they call you and let you take it away? What a great looking hive!!!

DennisB

Nope. No call, went by yesterday, was in the area, and saw it from the roadside. I will let them be for now. Its not going anywhere. Will post on it if I get the job, you can bet on it.

...JP

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2008, 12:27:57 pm »
I thought the AHB was more prone to living in holes in the ground rather than out in the open like that.  They settle into storm drains, manhole covers, well heads, etc.  Eh, what do I know about them, hopefully they'll never develop the ability to live up here in the frozen north!  :-P

The current accepted ideas are that AHB are less discriminating about where they will make their hives. That may in part be true. The other part is simply due to development and there being less natural areas for them to settle. Since I had my hives tested. I no longer buy the accepted idea. I have removed them from all sorts of places.

I try to explain to people that if the bees are in a water meter(or whatever) and you open it and break comb they will be unhappy, period.

Now there was a hive in Boca that Brian (pbc beekeeper member) did a removal on. They were in a tree and just mean as all get up. He sent a sample in. But these bees weren't provoked(that I know of). But if you got close they got mean.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible