Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Apiguard/Formic Acid Methods, & Step by Step Transition to SC  (Read 18518 times)

Offline mgmoore7

• House Bee
    • Moore Honey Bees
Re: Apiguard/Formic Acid Methods, & Step by Step Transition to SC
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2007, 03:38:11 pm »
Robo
A flow should be starting in 15-30 days here in FL. 

I suppose I could put a deep on top, use an excluder on the top and bottom of the bottom deep with the queen in there and let the brood hatch out in the top deep.  Then pull the top deep and those frames.

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2007, 03:09:10 pm »
Here is another question...HSC is used only for the brood box?  If I do not use a queen excluder on my hives, does that mean I have to use HSC in each box?  That is pricey eh?

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2007, 10:45:06 pm »
To emulate a feral colony you only need to use five HSC in the center of the brood nest. the bees know when and how to utilize both large and small cells depending on there needs of the season. you can use ten if you like but remember it is only for brood area dont wast it in honey area. RDY-B

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2007, 11:59:22 pm »
I find this of value hope you do to     http://apis.freehostia.com/smus.htm  RDY-B

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2007, 12:10:28 am »
>Here is another question...HSC is used only for the brood box?  If I do not use a queen excluder on my hives, does that mean I have to use HSC in each box?  That is pricey eh?

If the goal is instant regression, you really only need one bee box full of HSC to get them regressed.  By the time they start drawing the next box, some of the offspring from the HSC should be drawing it so it can be wax 4.9mm or foundationless and come out fine.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2007, 01:30:44 am »
Instant regression sounds to good to be true  ;)  8-) RDY-B

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2007, 08:38:12 am »
To emulate a feral colony you only need to use five HSC in the center of the brood nest. the bees know when and how to utilize both large and small cells depending on there needs of the season. you can use ten if you like but remember it is only for brood area dont wast it in honey area. RDY-B

Theory is great, but reality is sometimes totally different.   Good luck getting the queen to lay in the 5 HSC frames.  You will find the brood nest in the perimeter frames. :-\
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2007, 12:22:21 pm »
I have a feeling that I should buy a new package of bees in Spring and start a second hive, using HSC.
In each additional super add, I can place the smaller cell foundation, and or go foundationless?  How does that theory sound?

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2007, 12:58:54 pm »
>How does that theory sound?

Fine.

>Theory is great, but reality is sometimes totally different.   Good luck getting the queen to lay in the 5 HSC frames.  You will find the brood nest in the perimeter frames.

If you give them a full box of nothing but HSC until they are using it and eventually work it into five in each box it will work.  But as Robo says, if you only give them five of the HSC and the rest are foundationless or small cell wax, they will probably ignore the HSC at least until they run out of room.  Better not to give them the choice.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2007, 04:03:15 pm »
Thanks MB, yes, I will do just that, and just fill the whole thing with HSC...

Barely Winter and already thinking Spring!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 11:54:21 pm by DayValleyDahlias »

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2007, 10:04:41 pm »
Barely Winter and already thinking Spring!

I've been thinking about spring since July, lol!
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC