Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Extra Tall bee suits out there anywhere?  (Read 5754 times)

Offline fiddleheadfarm

• New Bee
Extra Tall bee suits out there anywhere?
« on: August 02, 2005, 10:54:14 am »
My daughter and I are new to beekeeping this year and are fortunate to have 2 well-producing hives. We prefer to cover-up when working the hives. That makes us both feel more comfotable around the bees especially until we can learn to recognize their signals of distress or bliss. We have also had the occasion to suit up to destroy yellow jacket and hornet nests. Hence, another need for full coverage. My daughter fits into a normal size bee suit but I tried a tall from Kelley's and it's not even close. I am 6'4" and thin. The tall suit I tried was too short in the arms and legs. Now I am in search of an EXTRA-tall. Does anyone know of a place to order from? I called several companies including Dadant and they could not fit one to me. As an alternative, there is a seamstress a couple towns over who has made a custom shirt for me before but she likes to use a pattern to start with. However, I cannot find an extra-tall jumpsuit pattern for her to use either.  :( Any HELP????

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2005, 01:07:38 pm »
www.beeworks.com can custom make beesuits.  I have one full size suit and one jacket from them.  They are well made.

I think there are extra large suits from Golden Bee Products (the coolest, best and most expensive bee suit)  They advertise in the journals.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2005, 03:18:08 pm »
I'm in the same boat, except I'm tall and fat.  I have made my own top and plan on making pants as soon as my wifes sewing machine is back from me breaking it.  I have altered the top to attatch the two together to make a one piece and have velcro and a zipper for the veil.  Keep us updated...please.
                                               David
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline TREBOR

• House Bee
    • The Cynical Bastards
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005, 11:22:41 pm »
If you call this company they can order you a B.J.SHERRIFF SUIT
custom made, I think she told me it was no extra charge ,
but I would have to what two weeks, I'm 6'2" 220 lbs. got an XL from Mann Lake DIDN'T FIT , cause I have monkey arms , every time I bend over my sleeves go up! and the suit gets tight ! and I get stung.
 Ordered an XL reg. B.J. Sherriff (apriest) or something like that, o
here it is (S36XL - B.J. Sherriff "Apiarist" one piece/hooded, XL (46-48)
   IT FITS IT REALLY FITS , NO REALLY IT FITS AND THERE'S ROOM
THE ARMS FIT TOO!  
  WOW its nice to buy something that fits for a change!
but the price didn't fit to well , but it fits and thats not something that happeneds everyday!
ANYWAY GO HERE!   www.mid-conagri.com/

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 11:48:59 am »
Great topic. I'm 6'6" and 245#. A big boy. I will be having this same problem this winter as I collect all my gear for next springs' beekeeping year (and my first ever).
After 18 months of reading and preparation, my girls finally arrived on April 11th (2006)!

Offline fiddleheadfarm

• New Bee
Have ordered a beeworks suit - will let you know how it fits
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2005, 10:36:43 am »
I emailed beeworks and they have been very helpful with sizing measurements to get a custom and proper fit. I extended my questions to them to include gloves, as the fingers are never long enough on standard ones. They took the time to determine from several measurements of my hand if their glove sizing would indeed fit. So far, these folks have been great to work with. I'll post again when the suit & gloves arrive. I'm anxious to get protection that may actually fit!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2005, 12:37:39 pm »
>So far, these folks have been great to work with.

I've been doing business with them for years and they have always been very helpful.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline fiddleheadfarm

• New Bee
The results are in...
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2005, 10:39:48 am »
This has taken some time but the results are well worth the wait.  :) Communication with David Eyre and Jean Eyre from Beeworks was done totally with email (my preference). Their responses to my questions were very prompt. I placed an order through their 'normal' website ordering system after interacting with them via email. They matched my measurement information to the order and sent it to the cutting department for customization. The price was only a few dollars more for customizing. When I received the suit and gloves, the fit was not quite right. I contacted David and explained how and where the fit was off. He sent back a couple more measurements to take and then I shipped back the suit & gloves. They prepared another suit and sent that along with larger gloves. The fit could not be any better. I used the gear a couple days ago when medicating my hives, and it was such a pleasure to not have to layer up with clothes and duct tape the openings...I highly recommend these folks if you also need a custom fit. :!: Just be patient if they have a busy workload.