Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Trouble with SBB  (Read 2986 times)

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
Trouble with SBB
« on: July 19, 2008, 01:40:22 pm »
I'm having a terrible time designing my screened bottom board, and wonder if someone can help me a bit.  My problem is in trying to design it so the bottom board can slide in and out from the back.  I'm trying to design it to fit on one of those hive supports with the angled "ramp" on the front (name is escaping me for lack of sleep), so a front opening for the bottom board would be difficult to manipulate, and me being lazy, would like to design it so I can work the bees later with as much ease as possible.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Trouble with SBB
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 07:39:56 pm »
If you make the side rails 3/4" taller than the front and back you can set this on blocks, bricks or four by fours for a stand.  Then you can use the political signs and cut a piece that will fit and slide underneath resting on the bricks.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 09:55:03 pm »
Yup, I think I got it now... and it's almost done.  One question though, was it ok for me to use window screen material, or are the holes too small for the mites to fall through?

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 01:32:00 am »
Yup, I think I got it now... and it's almost done.  One question though, was it ok for me to use window screen material, or are the holes too small for the mites to fall through?

Window screen is fine if all you're after is ventilation.  If you want to use the SBB for sifting mites #7 or #8 hardware cloth is best.  #1 hardware cloth is 1 square per inch vertically, #2 is 2 squares per inch or 1/2 inch, #4 is 4 squares per inch or 1/4 inch...etc.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 08:25:59 am »
Dang.  Of course I want mite control, too.  Looks like I'll be headed back to the hardware store again today.

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 09:49:07 am »
i suggest you call ahead to see if they have it...it seems not so readily available. if you find it buy way more than you need.

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 06:59:16 pm »
Too bad I didn't read your post yesterday, would have saved me some time.  Lowes nor Home Depot had it, but I did find it at a local crafts store called michael's in West Knoxville, though it wasn't labelled as #8 hardware cloth, I was able to count it out thanks to Brian's info.  Thanks Brian.

anything