Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Did your bee clubs package order get cut back this year ?  (Read 9066 times)

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: Did your bee clubs package order get cut back this year ?
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2011, 09:55:53 pm »
The pain of people cancelling their package orders.... lol  Some folks just don't understand, lol.

Yeah, I had some cancellations also.

Seems some have no problem getting bees. One guy called tonight, and arranged for a supplier to ship him bees next week.  :roll:

I know next year, all my nucs and queen orders go first to those that ordered from me this year.

I think I need to go to a system of rewarding previous customers and those a tad bit loyal then those cancelling an order to get bees a few days earlier from someone else.

Maybe a "restocking" fee of 25% for cancelled orders..... :-D
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline organicfarmer

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2011, 10:13:41 pm »
Mine have been postponed one week at a time since April 2. Now supposed to come on 30th, that's 5 dates, 4 postponements. And i have the feeling the series is not over. "Bee packages VI" coming soon to your theater !!!
Indeed tis the name of the (Natural) game... with maybe some influence from the boys' network, regular customer vs. new ones...

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2011, 10:33:10 pm »
 :lau:

And to think I had folks not willing to wait till June for a nuc.  :shock:

Lets see.....Late May package, or a June nuc......  :-D No brainer, for those that actually know what happens to a package the first month.

Maybe this is a lesson for more to get into nuc production. Seems not too hard to compete with packages with this lousy customer service and crap. Seems many orders were grabbed, beyond production capabilities, then string everyone along, knowing they have most over a barrel with no other options. I hear the weather comments EVERY year. Meaning they should take this into account. But it's too easy to expand your normal window of production by grabbing twice as many orders, then stringing the orders well beyond normal delivery dates for packages. Did anyone ever think this was by design, and perhaps not by some once again fluk of the weather? If they told folks they would not get their packages till late May, I wonder how many orders would not of been made. But if you take three months of orders, promise them all to be delivered in April, yet use the convenient excuse of the "weather", then take three months delivering your orders,......No! That can't possible happen could it?  :roll:
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline organicfarmer

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2011, 10:52:57 pm »

Maybe this is a lesson for more to get into nuc production. Seems not too hard to compete with packages with this lousy customer service and crap. Seems many orders were grabbed, beyond production capabilities, then string everyone along, knowing they have most over a barrel with no other options. I hear the weather comments EVERY year. Meaning they should take this into account. But it's too easy to expand your normal window of production by grabbing twice as many orders, then stringing the orders well beyond normal delivery dates for packages. Did anyone ever think this was by design, and perhaps not by some once again fluk of the weather? If they told folks they would not get their packages till late May, I wonder how many orders would not of been made. But if you take three months of orders, promise them all to be delivered in April, yet use the convenient excuse of the "weather", then take three months delivering your orders,......No! That can't possible happen could it?  :roll:

You are honest, but greed and the same 'weather' excuse can get to the nuc industry just the same if someone wanted to. No?

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2011, 11:34:25 pm »
I picked up nucs in Spokane off Yakima bees back from the almonds.  On time and a five frame nuc meant brood on five frames!  They are carniolans and just kittens on wings.  Never have worked as gentle a bee.  Today was first decent flying day since 4/16 when I picked them up.  Rotten weather.  Please pray for Global Warming.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2011, 11:41:05 pm »
You are honest, but greed and the same 'weather' excuse can get to the nuc industry just the same if someone wanted to. No?

Sure it could.

Although it always is the packages being promised first, and the nucs much later by the calendar. Many folks order packages because the lack of true supply in the north of nucs. Couple that with the idea that most beginners have about wanting to start early, and many beekeepers do not want to wait a month or two for nucs after packages are being "promised".

But keep dragging out package deliveries to late May, and I think many northern beekeepers will realize that any advantage to early packages is lost. Beekeepers would do better to use their overwintered hives for honey production, forget about early packages, keep their money in their pocket, and split their hives half way through the flow, making up for losses, and probably be far ahead of installing packages in May.

Keep in mind that a package will decrease in population for the first 30 days after installation. Meaning any true buildup for a package will not happen till June.

The value of packages is they are readily available, and can be purchased early season. Take away those benefits, and there isn't much advantage is there?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 07:24:00 am by BjornBee »
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2011, 08:49:58 am »
Hey Lucas....I had a 40 package order cancel this morning.  ;)

Seems packages are abundant and available if using the right supplier. Guys bringing up extra trucks with packages not even sold yet. Handing them out like candy.  :roll:

At this rate, we might just make one trip... :-D
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2011, 09:15:46 am »
Hey Lucas....I had a 40 package order cancel this morning.  ;)

Couldnt tell if you were kidding or not, but if not, that had to hurt. A 40 package cancellation would make my wheaties boil over

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2011, 09:47:03 am »
No...it's no joke.

Can't even really sell them again at this point. It would go like this....

"Have extra packages left over from a unfulfilled April delivery. New delivery date....unknown. Just send money and we will let you know down the road."  ;)

Send money to......  :roll:

At this point, I'll just cut the order and suck it up.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline Yuleluder

• House Bee
    • Yule's Apiaries
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2011, 07:59:39 pm »
No...it's no joke.

"Have extra packages left over from a unfulfilled April delivery. New delivery date....unknown. Just send money and we will let you know down the road."  ;)

I had a few orders trickle in today.  I had to tell them mid-May but that it could be later.  They were fine with that.  Its been painful this week, but you just have to hope everything will work itself out.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2011, 08:29:06 pm »
No...it's no joke.

I had a few orders trickle in today.  I had to tell them mid-May but that it could be later.  They were fine with that.  Its been painful this week, but you just have to hope everything will work itself out.

Just remember... Time never stops.

May
Mae
Mane
Jane
June

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline backyard warrior

• House Bee
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2011, 09:32:09 pm »
I know one thing that supplier wouldnt get my business ever again !  This whole bee  package industry is all about the buck and thats all it ever will be and if i can do some splits next season ill be happy with that. I am kinda bent on the fact that i wont have any bees for the flow and the bees wont start builing up till June why would i want bees after a nectar flow ??? So i can feed them all summer and hope for a little bit of fall flow ??? Just doesnt add up  Chris

Offline Yuleluder

• House Bee
    • Yule's Apiaries
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2011, 10:39:30 pm »
Its really not that late in the sense that the strong hives in the area are just getting started with swarm preparations.  A guy I know found a bunch of open swarm cells in one of his strong hives yesterday.  Now if we get pushed out past swarm season, lol... :'(

Offline backyard warrior

• House Bee
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2011, 09:57:09 am »
 I dont know about that lucas :)  If we get bees in May and it takes the bees till June too build themselves up once the queen starts laying and hatching out bees we know it takes 21 days for a forager to leave the hive. Now if you have a hive right now that is ready to swarm you know have a hive that is full of bees ready to collect the nectar flow. But when you are a small guy like me i dont have any hives to split to make up the losses its just a frustrating hobby im going to need blood pressure pills soon.  :-D

Offline Yuleluder

• House Bee
    • Yule's Apiaries
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2011, 11:38:03 am »
I make splits in July with 2 frames of brood and get most of them through winter, so May really isn't that bad.  I know some folks want to make honey from a package but that rarely happens out here in SE PA even with drawn comb.  I'm sorry to hear about your package from HL.  I call you later after I'm done in the bee yards.

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2011, 08:52:11 pm »
A local commercial beek that we get packages from has made two trips to Georgia so far with total's running short on both loads. The first order he brought back 1/2 of his 500 package order. The second trip was two weeks behind from two different suppliers and the one they had to help shake bees to get close to the amount he wanted. The thing i found interesting was that you could see a large variance in the packages and we found out that the suppliers are starting to call them #2 or #3 packages instead of 3lb. packages. I guess it is like buying a candy bar when they raise the price and cut the portion.

Offline woodchopper

• House Bee
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2011, 09:40:33 pm »
I know one thing that supplier wouldnt get my business ever again !  This whole bee  package industry is all about the buck and thats all it ever will be and if i can do some splits next season ill be happy with that. I am kinda bent on the fact that i wont have any bees for the flow and the bees wont start builing up till June why would i want bees after a nectar flow ??? So i can feed them all summer and hope for a little bit of fall flow ??? Just doesnt add up  Chris
The late packages will make a already bad gamble worse. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a heavy Fall flow. BTW, we'll remember this stunt come next year when we place our orders. I've already cut my order in half and canceled a almost $200 equipment order from the guy were are buying packages from. He's a great guy but got caught between a rock and a hard place on this one.
Every man looks at his wood pile with a kind of affection- Thoreau

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2011, 06:31:00 am »
Mine keep getting pushed back as well.  It has gone from "anytime between now and May 5th", to "we'll call you when the bees arrive".  At this point, I am determined not to order bees anymore.  I will just rely on splitting my existing hives, which I do anyway.  I just used the packages to help me gain hive numbers quicker and introduce new lines of genetics into the mix.

Offline Course Bee

• House Bee
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2011, 09:56:55 am »
Our April 29th order was pushed to May 7th. They just moved it back up to May 3rd or 4th. Not sure why but I'm glad it's a few days earlier. I hate to have my equipment sitting empty. Their coming from Northern California.
Tim

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2011, 09:25:25 pm »
Looks like we might get a partial order this weekend. So what started as April 9th delivery, delayed till May 7th....and yet we still will wait till tomorrow to find out how many, when, etc.

I'm praying they have no "bad" weather the next few days allowing them another reason to delay...  :roll:

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org