Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Are any suits sting proof?  (Read 12864 times)

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
Are any suits sting proof?
« on: June 21, 2009, 11:16:22 pm »
I worked my bees today.  I have not intended to, but they have been a little neglected.  I needed to get 3 nuc boxes with swarms put into regular hive bodies.  They have all been in my bee yard for a week or more. 

There were also two hives that needed looked into for feeding and checking for the queen.  They were both from cutouts.  They appeared to be in pretty good shape.

The problem is, I was trying to manipulate things in one hive, finish it up, and move to the next one.  This was pretty stupid, because I didn't wait until things settled down, due to BEING IN A HURRY...... as usual.  Therefore, I had a ton of angry bees filling the air.  I will say, I did try to give em a little time, but not enough. 

By the time I started on the third project back there, I had been stung around 7 separate times.  I was suited up from head to toe.  I would be working away, and somehow get nailed.  I finally had enough, and quickly stacked things like they had been, and cleared out.  I will have to finish tomorrow. 

Another stupid thing I did, was not smoking them.  I hate to smoke 'em unless I have to.  Since I was tearing things up and putting back together, though, I shoulda known better.  Even though I am a 1st season rookie, that was still dumb. 

I hope that the two and a half hives I did go into are no worse for the wear.  I will give myself a little more time tomorrow, and use some smoke.  They were pretty fired up.... considering that I have changed feeders without my suit before.  I know, I know... .that is stupid too.  I just hope it wasn't too much stress for them. 

ANYWAY, I am rambling....my question is, are there any recommendations for a sting proof suit?  The one I wear is a hand-me-down that is a tad small.  I have intended to buy one, that fits, and keep this one as a spare.  Tonight motivates me.... :-D

Maybe none of them are "sting proof".  If not, then I guess I will suck it up and quit whining. 

On a positive note, though, I think the proverbial immunity is finally showing up.  I have been stung about 35 times this season.  In the beginning I would get the impressive local swelling, redness, and itchiness.  It would last for over a week.  The last few times I have had very little swelling and it was gone in two days.  Gotta love that.

-Joker
"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
Re: Are any suits sting proof?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 11:35:00 pm »
I doubt any of them are truly sting proof.  You pretty much summed up your problem with two things you said IMO.  First the suit is a little small, which means it's probably pulled tight against your skin more so than a properly fitting suit would be.  Second you're rushing.  Again just IMO that never works out well, smoke or not.  Stick to your plan next time and give 'em a little smoke and take your time.  Both you and the girls will have a better time.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams

Offline homer

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 11:46:48 pm »
I agree that I don't think there is a suit that is sting proof.  However, the only time that I have been stung through my suit is in places that there wasn't 2 layers of fabric.  I.E. when I have worn short sleeve shirts or a pair of shorts.  As long as I have a double layer I've never been stung through it.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 11:52:49 pm »
have you missed all the discussions on smoking!!!   :-D

i have to say that i have never been stung through my jacket.  through jeans, gloves, socks....  i have gotten them under my jacket, which is most unpleasant!  next time i am reaching high into a tree for a swarm, i will remember to tuck in my shirt!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline tlynn

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 11:57:59 pm »
I think you summed it up by saying you didn't use smoke.  Prevent the stings in the first place and smoke.  I generally smoke them once about 5 minutes before I go into them and use little if any smoke thereafter, even if I do a full inspection.  If I feel rushed and don't give them that time to settle in and eat some honey, they are testy (I have pretty much eliminated that attitude - just have to relax and take it slow, even in this Florida heat).  The only time I would smoke during the inspection is if I have a really full hive and want to move bees downward so I can stack boxes without crushing a lot of bees.  

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 12:00:25 am »
LOL, kathy, I accept the reprimand.  LOL

Yes, the suit is a little snug.  It is also old....the fabric is probably thinner than normal.  The weird thing is, I was stung in areas were it was not pulled tight....well, at least it didn't look like it was pulled tight.  Anyway, maybe I should just ask for recommendations for the best suit for the money.  I think you guys are right.  If you do things correctly you probably won't get stung.  It AIN'T the suit's fault.  LOL
"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman

Offline tlynn

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 12:09:54 am »
I think too baggy is just as problematic.  Sometimes I get stung if my clothes are too loose, like when a bee gets folded into the cloth and I don't have another layer underneath like today when it was about 98 out.  She was just walking around and probably wouldn't have stung otherwise. 

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 12:12:55 am »
The most sting proof suits on the market are the ultra breeze and golden bee suits.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 01:12:12 am »
 I highly recommend the ultra breeze jacket, I don't have the other one jp mentioned so I can't speak for that one, but my husband and I do have the ultra breeze.
Yesterday I was at a field day with the state club and I can't tell you how many people came up to us and asked us where we got the jackets, everyone was writing down the name of the website, Bill will get many orders because of us wearing those jackets yesterday.
I think people notice the mesh first and thats what gets them curious and then after they get closer and check it out they see that its three layers of mesh and its soooo cool and breezy to wear and virtually sting proof.
My husband took off his jacket and someone pointed out all the stingers that were stuck in it.
He never even noticed.
They cost a little more than other jackets/suits but its worth the investment.
I also like how well they clean up. The material seems to be somewhat stain proof, although he does not advertise that it has been my experience so far.

http://www.honeymoonapiaries.com/

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 11:32:55 am »
I have worked some very hot hives in my Ultrabreeze without being stung.  It's a real confidence builder when you have to tear down a hot hive.
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 01:05:06 pm »
Thanks, everybody.  I think the Ultrabreeze will be my next suit.  Looks like a pretty nice setup.  And, yes, I will use more smoke  :-D  Now, does anybody have $250 I can borrow LOL

Offline mgmoore7

• House Bee
    • Moore Honey Bees
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 03:09:16 pm »
The most sting proof suits on the market are the ultra breeze and golden bee suits.

...JP

I have the ultrabreeze. I don't think a bee can sting through it.  The jacket is 3 layers of different types of mesh material.  The bee stinger can't get that far in. 

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 06:40:16 pm »
    I like the ultra breeze jacket also.  I tend to delay buying anything for myself and my wife kicked me in the britches and got it for me.  Man I love it.  Watched a few try and get through the jacket with no luck.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 09:00:09 pm »
>Are any suits sting proof?

No.

The nearest thing is the Ultra Breeze or the Golden Bee Products suits.  But nothing is sting proof.  The bees can and will get in from time to time no matter what you do and when stretched tightly over a shoulder or back a bee might even get through.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2009, 09:43:01 pm »
In my limited experience, I've found that taking my time and doing what the bees like rather than what I like has enabled me to work more often with no smoke and get fewer stings overall. I work barehanded with a veil, and slow, gentle movements seem to do the trick more often than not. It forces me to me more aware of what is best for the bees during my manipulations, rather than focusing on what I want to get done.

With smoke and gloves, I can tear apart a hive quick ans can be, and not worry about anything else...I find out what I need to, close up, and be done. If the bees get upset, well, that's what the suit and gloves are for, right? But when I go with no smoke and no gloves, slow, gentle work, that is fine with the bees, works best. I like having them crawl over my fingers in a curious way, not in a defensive one. Sure, it makes things a little trickier...you do have to watch where you put your fingers, make sure you aren't squishing bees when you're working apart frames, but if you can avoid that annoyed increased buzz when you work a stuck frame loose, aren't you then doing the best job as a beekeeper?
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2009, 02:18:51 am »
If you have arthritis and other chronic pain issues you want to get stung, the heck with the bee suit just give me a veil and a hive tool.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2009, 08:41:57 am »
NO SUIT IS STING PROOF !    :roll:

The manufactures say " Sting Resistent "

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline homer

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2009, 12:57:43 am »
In one of the beekeeping catalogs they advertise a TYVEK (the stuff that they use to wrap houses with before putting on siding) suit that is supposedly sting proof.  Cheap, too.  I think it was only around $25.  The problem is that these suits were designed for use by people in indsutrial applications i.e. working with chemicals, heavy duty sand plasting and so on.  So they do not breathe AT ALL.  I don't know that sting proof would be worth cooking out in the sun.

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2009, 01:18:52 am »
I plan to try a set of military coveralls if I go swarming or the bees get fiesty - one piece - heavy cotton - velcro closing cuffs on wrists and legs - $40 price tag. they may not be sting proof, but they'll probably be pretty hardy. (I just hope the bees wait till it's about 60* outside to get really mad about anything.)
be happy and make others happy.

Offline Wynoochee_newbee_guy

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2009, 01:35:04 pm »
In one of the beekeeping catalogs they advertise a TYVEK (the stuff that they use to wrap houses with before putting on siding) suit that is supposedly sting proof.  Cheap, too.  I think it was only around $25.  The problem is that these suits were designed for use by people in indsutrial applications i.e. working with chemicals, heavy duty sand plasting and so on.  So they do not breathe AT ALL.  I don't know that sting proof would be worth cooking out in the sun.
tyvek is a form of gortex membrain made by dupont its a spin off or cheap imitation of gortex. it does breath quite well and its water proof on the out side. used one as a rain suit once.as for bee proof ha! bee can't cling to it. but i sure they can sting through it.
Its All Fun And Games Till I lose an EYE!