Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: home made extractor - bearings  (Read 3133 times)

Offline dp2k

• Brood
home made extractor - bearings
« on: April 22, 2012, 02:21:25 pm »
lots of great ideas on home made extractors here.  What is the general wisdom on what type of bearing setup is recommended to hold the shaft at the bottom of an extractor (with a top mounted motor, either fan motor, belt/pulley or drill) would a ball/roller bearing set up be significantly better than a post in a nylon or bronze bushing?  I'm thinking about easy availability of parts and ease of mounting at the bottom of a plastic barrel. What do the commercial extractors use?

Offline BoBn

• House Bee
    • h
Re: home made extractor - bearings
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 07:01:17 pm »
Mic the shaft and mounting block and start with an automotive store.  Get a sealed bearing.
"Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch toward uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one-half the world fools and the other half hypocrites."
--Thomas Jefferson

Offline beehappy1950

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 08:12:40 pm »
I have one from Mann Lake that just has a piece of stainless pipe in bottom and you drop in a ball bearing  (steely) and then the shaft sits down in on top of it. I wouldnt use a sealed bearing. Sealed means the air and moisture may not get in but some leak. Not a good deal.  Harold

Offline Sundog

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 04:11:25 pm »
Sealed bearings can be had at Grainger.  Mount the bottom bearing in a block three inches thick and you could spin about three gallons before the honey reaches the bearing and you would need to empty the extractor.

Have fun!

Offline orchid510

• Brood
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 02:36:54 am »
I have built two extractors and have found that thrust bearings work very well.  I ordered it from VXB.COM ONLY $12.95
I used a 5/8" shaft but you could use any size PROD/Kit8754 good luck.
you will also need a collar on the shaft at its base so the shaft will rest on the bearing.   sorry I am not much ao a technical writer.