Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queenless aggressive bees  (Read 3925 times)

Offline dprater

• House Bee
Queenless aggressive bees
« on: April 06, 2013, 10:21:45 pm »
Year # 2 beek. Two days ago I went into two of my hives, one had all drone brood, no eggs no pattern at all. The other hive had eight queen cells two empty. Both are very strong hives. I found the queen in the drone hive and removed her. This hive had swarmed five weeks ago, maybe she did not get bred good are not at all?
I put a frame with two queen cells in the drone brood hive, and made a split with two more queen cell, honey and some brood to open up the hive and hope it does not swarm. So I guess both are queenless.
I got stung walking by 10 ft away and again 60 ft away ran and had to get in my car to get away. Are they aggressive from them being queenless or are they still angry at me from two days ago? Is this normal? And will It go away?

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
Re: Queenless aggressive bees
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 10:35:52 pm »
i doubt they remember two days ago.  how many bees were chasing you 60 feet?

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 01:37:51 am »
Queenless and strong =ornery

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 01:49:19 am »
very ornery
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 07:59:49 am »
i doubt they remember two days ago.  how many bees were chasing you 60 feet?

The first time I removed honey from my hives in my back yard, I used a brush to remove the bees from the frames. I probably was too rough because they were very up set and attacked anyone who walked in the back yard for a little over 2 weeks. Yes they remember. I now use bee quick or similar removal sprays. If you are rough with your bees they will retaliate.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline dprater

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 08:30:19 am »
Framer- All I saw was one bee and she did not chase me 60 ft away that I know of, I had just walked by at was at the end of my garden and BAMB. She even tried to sting me again even though she had already left her stinger in my lip. Oh and by the way my lip got bigger than in the pic. I don't have real close neighbors 200 ft I sure hope they don't go over their with this attitude.

Life is good even with a fat lip!
Danny

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 08:47:23 am »
I'd also be looking for noghttime visitors.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 10:41:19 am »
Are they aggressive from them being queenless or are they still angry at me from two days ago? Is this normal? And will It go away?

Surely you have aggression genes in your yard. You have a good opportunity that genes inherit to young queens, via queen or via drones.
It is better to bye new laying queens to boath.

Language barrier NOT included

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 10:56:11 am »
queenless could be part of it but walking in the bee line if they're working can get you stung at any time.   they're coming in fast and fly into you.  this doesn't sound too aggressive now that i understand it better.  i've caught swarms that a few days later will chase and sting you for a couple hundred feet.  pretty sure they were africanized i just wanted to be sure that wasn't what you were describing.     

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 02:43:35 pm »
Last year I had a hive with some queen cells they were aggressive.   But then Friday I was out mowing didn't get any closer that 25 ft from hives, one buzzed me at about 30ft, again at 50 ft, and got me at about 65 ft.  And they seem to love my right eye, got bees in fall of 11, and so far that makes about 5 or 6 stings on the right eye lid.  Yeap it is still swelled some.  Dang I love beek.

Joe

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 02:56:16 pm »
Last year I had a hive with some queen cells they were aggressive.   But then Friday I was out mowing didn't get any closer that 25 ft from hives, one buzzed me at about 30ft, again at 50 ft, and got me at about 65 ft. 
Joe

If you report that in yards, it is not so bad.
Carry on!

Language barrier NOT included

anything